Mixing pwm and mppt to same bank ok?

72 Posts
Aug 25, 2009 06:35 am
Mixing pwm and mppt to same bank ok?

I have a MPPT charging a 12v bank and want to make sure its ok to add a pwm charge controller to the same bank.

This is the mppt controller:
http://www.altestore.com/store/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controllers/Xantrex-MPPT-Charge-Controllers/Xantrex-XW-Solar-Charge-Controller-MPPT-865-1030/p5946/

This is the pwm controller:
http://www.altestore.com/store/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/Pwm-Type-Solar-Charge-Contollers/Morningstar-Charge-Controllers-Pwm/Morningstar-Sunsaver-Ss-10-10A-12V-Pwm-Chg-Cntrlr/p798/

Sep 13, 2009 07:21 am
Re: Mixing pwm and mppt to same bank ok?

This is probably a question best left to manufacture technical assistances.

But this would be my best guess.
(After reading the manuals for both charge controllers, I would have to say that, yes its possible but, there may be conflict between the two cc's from time to time do to a lack of communication between the two cc's. In other words if cc A ends its bulk setting before cc B and moves to float, battery voltage will drop and keep cc B in bulk charge mode which is a higher voltage than cc A's float voltage and that may confuse its programming and cause a fault.)

I would greatly appreciate it, if you would, share what you learn from this Keith?

72 Posts
Sep 13, 2009 03:32 pm

Thomas,

I'm not sure how to tell if its working properly or well. But it is installed and running.

I updated my install story here:
http://solarinvirginia.com/Solar_Shed_To_Home_Story.php
It includes a mention of how the charger is in play, and the panel that it is connected to. It also includes links to all of the products I purchased here at AltE Store of course.

So far there have not been any noticeable problems. The battery bank is charging a little earlier every day, and the out from the MPPT controller is showing less output to the battery bank to get to float every day. And the loads have not changed. They are all pretty much 24x7 loads. With very little on/off loads.

I do have a Bogart trimetric setting in a drawer that needs to be installed. But I've put it off since I'll need to move my charging connections off of the battery and in to the disconnect enclosure first.

Some day I'll get around to it.

220 Posts
Sep 13, 2009 10:22 pm

hey keith,

had a read through your install story. fine, fine job there and a pleasure to read about.

i bet those controllers will play together just fine.

your gonna like that bogart 2020 when you bring it on line, i see you enjoy knowing what your system is up to and this little toy speaks volumes.

cheers, dave

Sep 14, 2009 05:52 am

Cool!

"When once a man has made celebrity necessary to his happiness, he has put it in the power of the weakest and most timorous malignity, if not to take away his satisfaction, at least to withhold it. His enemies may indulge their pride by airy negligence and gratify their malice by quiet neutrality."
William Samuel Johnson.

46 Posts
Sep 14, 2009 06:44 pm

Hey David, I'll second that. Beautiful job Keith, on both the install AND the website. And Keith, kudos to you for stumping Thomas Allen "the Computer" Schmidt. That may be the most amazing part!

72 Posts
Sep 14, 2009 06:57 pm

Thanks guys, its been a lot of fun to work on! I hope the site ends up helping someone get started in to the wonderful world of renewable energy.

Anyways, I'll probably squeak in that monitor install sometime in the next month or so.

I'm just a little bummed that the main project is pretty much finished, it was very satisfying while working on it and I'm enjoying the rewards, but it left me feeling like "huh, now what" once it was done.

... time to try hot water. :-)

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!