parallel ASC shunt controllers

73 Posts
Aug 14, 2009 08:40 am
parallel ASC shunt controllers

I want to add a second array to my system and want to know if adding a 2nd ASC shunt controller in parallel to my current one will work o.k. I plan on installing a Buss Bar for battery connections in order to simplify wiring and such and will be connecting the 2 ASC shunt controllers to it. These controllers should behave just fine together?

James

Aug 14, 2009 08:59 am
Re: parallel ASC shunt controllers

Looking at a spec. sheet for an ASC 12 amp version, its wriiten that "The ASC can be wired in parallel to sub arrays."

First page, paragraph header - "FOR LARGER ARRAYS"

http://www.powerupco.com/controllers/sci/ASC_SPEC_SHEET.pdf

73 Posts
Aug 14, 2009 09:14 am

right..I see that in the manual as well. I guess what I was really asking is if a buss bar is the best way to do this?

578 Posts
Aug 14, 2009 09:26 am

your question is a good one and  highlights why dc load centers are important.  when the combiner is by the array outside(combining) then there is the need for an enclosure that can provide the appropriate busbars to handle pv disconnects, charge controller disconnects, inverter disconnects, equipment grounding conductor, load circuit breakers, etc that is located inside. 

yes bus bars would be the way to go, but not bus bars randomly hanging out readily accessible in a live electrical condition.

depending on the case, sometimes one larger controller makes sense, other times the arrays dictate that two controllers would be a better solution.  as long as the controllers are wired in parallel, there should be no problem with their functionality.

james
altE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

73 Posts
Aug 14, 2009 10:26 am

perfect! thanks for the reply James

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!