How do you keep snow from sticking on solar panels?

16 Posts
Jan 3, 2010 11:18 pm
How do you keep snow from sticking on solar panels?

I just got solar system online a couple weeks ago and can,t keep the snow off. I am about 50 miles south of Erie pa. and have had snow just about every day. I was thinking of putting rainex on the panels so the snow would slide off instead of sticking. I used rainex for a couple other unconventional uses with good results and it didn,t hurt anyrhing. Put on my satelite dishes and it works well on them. Also used on a motorcycle windshield and it was like having wiper blades. Anyone else try this on thier solar panels? I have scraped about 5 inches of snow with a squegee for the last few days. I used a 10 foot length of plastic conduit for a handle for the squegee.  Any comments will be apreciated.           Vic

578 Posts
Jan 4, 2010 11:17 am
Re: How do you keep snow from sticking on solar panels?

do not put anything on the surface of the modules.

if you cant leave them alone, or you need the electricity they provide that badly, you can disconnect the system, use a non conductive broom or something to that effect.

be careful

james
altE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

99 Posts
Jan 5, 2010 01:01 pm

They should be angled toward the winter sun, around 60 degrees.  That should be sufficient to keep snow off.  It does for me.  It also ensures maximum insolation.

462 Posts
Jan 29, 2010 02:34 pm

Victor, you can also try using a garden hose with some hot water to melt the snow and ice....

97 Posts
Jan 29, 2010 03:41 pm

Victor, I purchased a roof rake at the hardware store, removed the aluminum rake part and affixed a wide shop broom to the end in place of the rake.  It works quite well and gives me sufficient reach for the roof mounted panels.  Jon C.

1 Posts
Jan 29, 2010 07:02 pm

I live in snowy Vermont. My angle of 60degrees is great for winter insolation, but it doesn't do a lot for shedding the sticky snow in a timely fashion. One of those "Snow Brums" that they sell for cars and trucks (with a long handle) works well for me. It's a pleasant, brief chore that I enjoy, because it actually gets me outside in the winter!
The "Brum" is made out of something like memory foam; seems quite safe for the array surface, and non-conductive.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2010 07:09 pm by Joe Yoder »

28 Posts
Jan 31, 2010 04:11 pm

I use a plastic roof rake for one of my arrays and a floor broom for a pole mounted array. My panels are at 60 degree angles and if the conditions are right, snow will stick. As an experiment, I left the snow on the panels on a stretch of cold sunny days, it took 2 full sunny days for them to completely melt off. If I use the rake or the brush,they amy not cleat off in theri entirity but within an hour whatever was frozen on is gone. 

12 Posts
Mar 4, 2010 08:52 am

I use a Super Soaker filled with windshield washer fluid and squirt them down. It breaks the snow up and allows any available sun radiation to get to the panels to warm them up.

184 Posts
Apr 1, 2010 10:15 pm

Am I the only one who sends his wife up on the roof to brush the snow off of the panels?  Doesn’t your woman appreciate the time and money you’ve invested in a system that makes her life more comfortable?  Does she think about such things when she’s using her appliances, or putting on makeup in front of a brightly-lighted mirror?  Where does she think the power comes from to run her vacuum cleaner?  You might want to remind her that the beer she fetches for you is cold because of the system you’ve installed.  Maybe she just needs a reminder.  After that, I’m sure she’ll be happy to scurry up the ladder and brush the snow off of the panels when necessary.  I know mine is.  And by the way, happy April 1st.

7 Posts
May 8, 2010 07:52 am

Victor, I purchased a roof rake at the hardware store, removed the aluminum rake part and affixed a wide shop broom to the end in place of the rake.  It works quite well and gives me sufficient reach for the roof mounted panels.  Jon C.

Hey it is a great way to come over this problem as, this can be worth choosing this. Please suggest some other option also that is also good.

I am actually finding some more better ways.

Thanks

http://www.energyboom.com/

This is very Nice post you mentioned here.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!