BATTERIES

2 Posts
Mar 13, 2011 07:09 am
BATTERIES

WHAT IS THE LIFE TIME OF MK 8L16 370 Ah (20 Hr) 6 V Flooded Battery?

99 Posts
Mar 15, 2011 02:07 am
Re: BATTERIES

Warranty is 2 years, so that's what I would assume is the rated lifespan.  Anything over 2 years is a bonus, but you shouldn't depend on it.

97 Posts
Mar 15, 2011 10:06 am

Hi A.A.  I have two banks of the L16 batteries in my system.  They have been working well for the last four years.  The lifespan will be greatly dependent on your DOD (depth of discharge), and the environment in which you keep the batteries.  I would suggest using hydrate caps since it is a flooded cell type battery.  I optimistically project a 7 year lifespan, but time will tell.  I wish you good fortune.  Jon C.

2 Posts
Mar 19, 2011 06:59 am

hi, i was expecting batteries over 10 yrs can you please specify me some.

97 Posts
Mar 20, 2011 11:02 pm

The longest warranty that I have seen on lead acid batteries is 7 years, Ashven.  So, I think that your expectation of over 10 year workable lifespan is unrealistic. Lifespan is much dependent on how the battery is treated in usage.  Jon C.

26 Posts
Mar 22, 2011 01:23 pm

Surrette Batteries have a 10 year warranty and 15 year expected lifespan

97 Posts
Mar 22, 2011 10:50 pm

Wow, that's a long lifespan, Tom.  Thanks for the input.  Based on the price of a L16 battery by comparison to the price of a Surrette though, I could replace the L-16's 5 times and get a minimum of 20 years lifespan for the same amount of money.  I guess we get what we pay for, huh?  ;-) Jon C.

26 Posts
Mar 22, 2011 11:19 pm

I've read from multiple sources that the Surrette batteries are good for 20-25 years.  If you treat them right, they should last as long as your solar panels.  Since I'm not betting on being able to replace batteries on a 5-7 year cycle, I went with the Surrettes.  Depends on what your outlook for the economy and society in general is.  I have two parallel banks of 6 and I paid about $6000 total for the dozen batteries, which just goes to show that even in the short period since I've bought them, inflation has already driven prices much higher.  Buying the longer lifespan batteries now will be a significant inflation hedge.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!