Developed by the U.S. Department of Energy, Building America’s system design recommendations and process improvements can help all builders interested in re-engineering their home designs to achieve high performance. This best practices handbook helps homeowners and builders develop durable, comfortable homes with high levels of efficiency for different climates. Each handbook contains chapters for every member of the builder’s team — from managers to site planners to designers, site supervisors, the trades, and marketers. There is also a chapter to help homeowners select the best systems for their new home. Choose the handbook that best fits your climate type:
- Volume 1: Hot and Humid Climates (PDF 9.0 MB)
- Volume 2: Hot-Dry and Mixed-Dry Climates (PDF, 5 MB)
- Volume 3: Cold and Very Cold Climates (PDF, 6 MB)
- Volume 4: Mixed Humid Climates (PDF, 6 MB)
- Volume 5: Marine Climate Zone (PDF, 5 MB)
Independent of climate, don’t forget to check out Volume 6: Solar Thermal & Photovoltaic Systems (PDF, 10 MB).