Motorized bicycle wanted

184 Posts
Nov 18, 2009 09:17 pm
Motorized bicycle wanted

Here's my situation:  I've recently started an 18 month assignment at Guantanamo Bay and I don't have a car.  I live 3 1/2 miles from work, and I've been biking to work most days.  However, the hills make the going pretty tough.  I would love to own an electric bike, but new ones are pretty costly.  I would have no problem recharging the bike at home and at work.  Whatever I buy would have to be light and compact, or the shipping costs would be high.  Also, it would have to be legal to ride here.  (Bicycle laws apply).  Any suggestions?

97 Posts
Nov 19, 2009 06:19 pm
Re: Motorized bicycle wanted

Hi John D.  I have a similar situation here.......about 3 miles to town and some major hills in between.  I converted a 27" 10 speed touring bike to electric drive for about $50 (cost of a couple 6v gelcell batteries).  I am using a 12v water pump motor mounted to friction drive the rear wheel with a freewheel rachet mechanism on the 1" drive roller, so the bike will operate normally when pedalled.  A 12v relay switches power from batteries to motor, with a push button switch on the handle grip.  One of the 6v batteries runs a 6v headlight, with a front mounted bike generator to recharge the battery. On a level straightaway, the electric drive will run the bike and allow me to rest my legs, and the electric drive is a power assist for the hill climbs. I use an external 12v charger for recharging the batteries.  It works for me. :-)

46 Posts
Nov 19, 2009 09:50 pm

Ok John, heres another one for you, but you cant have much of a fear of death. An electric skateboard. I got mine from http://www.exkate.com/ . They aren't terribly cheap, but mine works great. Their charge controllers are not very reliable. Not a very home grown response, and may not be real great on steep hills (especially if you weigh more than 180 lbs. or so), but I enjoy mine. Good luck with your search, -m

184 Posts
Nov 29, 2009 07:23 pm

Thanks for the replies.  The motorized skateboard sounds too scary for me.  Jon C, your electric bike sounds fantastic!  Not only does it provide power assist, it actually puts energy back into the batteries when you're going downhill. I would be grateful if you could provide additional information, particularly regarding the parts and mechanical details.

John

97 Posts
Nov 30, 2009 11:27 am

Hi John D.  I would be happy to share information on my electric bike with you.  I posted a picture of it on my photo gallery, but for some reason the site will not show any pictures beyond page 2.  If you would contact me at my email address JonChristenson @ msn.com I can send you the picture and whatever other information that you desire.  Jon C.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!