new installation of solar power for swimming pool pump

2 Posts
Jan 23, 2011 01:28 pm
new installation of solar power for swimming pool pump

hi,
I currently have a Haywood above ground pool (13x17x4) running a 1 hp ac motor/pump and would like to see about changing it over to solar power. What do i need? where do I start?

462 Posts
Feb 19, 2011 12:32 pm
Re: new installation of solar power for swimming pool pump

Eddy, first 1 HP is around 750 Watts.

Running at 120 Volts the pump draws

750 W/120 V = 6  amps.

If you run the pump for 5 hrs at 120 V then you would need

6 Amp x 5 hrs = 30 Amp hrs

Now if you have one 120 Watt, 12 Volt, 10 Amp solar panel;

Over 6 hrs you produce 60 Amp hrs at 12 V(60A x 12 V =720 W)

This translates to 6 Amp hrs at 120 V (6 A x 120 V =720 W)

So therefore we need five, 120W solar PV panels to cover our demand of 30 amp hrs at 120 V
   (6 Amp hrs x 5 panels = 30 Amp hrs)

Then of course batteries, wires, inverters and controllers etc....

Best to determine how much water is in the pool and how many GPM the pumps handles. Figure how long the pump has to run in order to filter the pool twice. Basically, try to reduce operating time in order to save electricity. Filter the water when people are in the pool stirring it up. Cover the pool to keep debris out. Install a timer. Keep the filter clean.....

2 Posts
Feb 19, 2011 06:21 pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your help and knowledge because I don't have much of either

I guess I didn't really give you a lot of info on my first post.

What I really need to do is replace the ac unit and go with a dc motor pump combo that will preform as well as the ac one,

More info: pool size = 4ft x 13ft x 17ft =6600 gals
pump:1hp ac 120v 11amp 60gpm sand filter - 6600gals x 60 gpm x 2 cycles per day = 4 hours run time

I would like to know what i would need to install a stand alone PV system that would preform as well or better than what I have now ie: size of system,number of panels,do i need battery back up?, should I go with dc? or stay ac?

Currently I have a spike in my power bill of about $100 a month while running the pool for two hours twice a day on a timer 2 hrs am 2 hrs pm from April-Sept. I live in central Alabama so I get about 5-6 sun hours a day

Any help that you could provide would be very well appreciated

462 Posts
Feb 23, 2011 02:08 pm

Eddy, if you plan on changing over to a DC pump, specs for that pump would be the first thing needed. Then figure power needed just as I figured previously. Then you can figure cost by looking at product pricing here at AltE.

99 Posts
Feb 26, 2011 12:34 pm

I would look into using a "slow pump".  Instead of pumping four hours a day at high amperage, it would pump all day long at a lower amperage.  You would most likely get a greater cycling of your pool water and require less solar panels.  Also, you wouldn't need any additional equipment (batteries, inverters, controllers, etc).  Just wire the panels to the pump at a voltage the pump can handle.  You may need more than one pump to produce the flow you want though.  But redundancy is a good thing.

Jan 4, 2013 10:19 am

Heating a pool with affordable, unglazed plastic material residential solar power sections can be a relatively easy and low cost venture you can do yourself.
The most important thing is that don't circulate the water through the panels until it is cloudy bright or sunny. The panels may actually cool your pool in the evening and at night.

Jan 5, 2013 12:58 pm

Heating a pool with affordable, unglazed plastic material residential solar power sections can be a relatively easy and low cost venture you can do yourself.
The most important thing is that don't circulate the water through the panels until it is cloudy bright or sunny. The panels may actually cool your pool in the evening and at night.
pool supplies

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!