Xantrex/Trace C40 and Morningstar TS45 charge controllers

2 Posts
May 17, 2011 06:30 pm
Xantrex/Trace C40 and Morningstar TS45 charge controllers

Good day to you all.....
I'm stuck between these two controllers.
Cost wise it looks like Xantrex might be a better deal.  The Morningstar carries a 5 year warranty but then again my experience is if the device makes it through the first 30 days it will likely last a long time.

My PV plant is 30amps.

I'm looking for opinions and experience if you can share.

Best regards
Scott

97 Posts
May 18, 2011 11:33 pm
Re: Xantrex/Trace C40 and Morningstar TS45 charge controllers

Hello Scott. Smiley  I have an experience share........also using a 30 amp PV plant with a Trace C40.  The unit has been working reliably for almost 5 years now.  It exhibited overheating during the hot summer months when ambient temp climbed to 100 F, since it is located in a non-air conditioned garage environment, but I remedied the problem by installing a cooling fan on the unit. Hope this helps...I wish you good fortune.  Jon C.

2 Posts
May 19, 2011 07:19 pm

Excellent and thank you.  By chance are you using the meter?

Best regards
Scott

97 Posts
May 19, 2011 11:30 pm

I am not using any remote charge controller metering devices, Scott, if that is what you are asking? I have analog ammeters that read charging current for my battery backup power for both solar and wind, and a battery voltage meter inside the house to monitor state of charge condition. I am operating in an "off grid" status. It seems that I have no need for any further metering resources.  Jon C.

May 31, 2011 09:47 pm

Excellent and thank you.  By chance are you using the meter?

Best regards
Scott

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!