Real world question

11 Posts
Aug 22, 2015 05:13 pm
Real world question

I have a question about Charge Controllers and how much they can handle. I am in a position where I have increased my panel output but am unable to run wire for multiple Controllers it is a concrete structure with a embedded chase way. How much amps can a Flex 80 actually handle? I realize that it is rated for 80 amps, but i have to assume there is a design safety factor. I wish to run 12 Canadian Solar 255 panels. Again the wattage is over the rating as well. What in the real world would happen to the Controller if i did this. Last year I ran 9 through a flex 60.  The setup is in Jamaica so local Elect. code is not an issue. Thanks.

6 Posts
Aug 24, 2015 10:09 am
Re: Real world question

Charles,

The Flexmax 80 solar charge controller can handle 12 Canadian 255 solar panels, it will, however depend on your battery bank voltage. A 48 volt battery bank will have no problems with 12 panels, it can handle 5000 watts at maximum (per Outback). From you old set up I am guessing you are running on a 48 volt system currently? If so you should be good with the Flexmax 80. You can give us a call at 1-800-320-9514 to confirm and get a quote from one of our sales reps.

Thanks,

Jocelyn

11 Posts
Aug 30, 2015 12:01 pm
Re: Real world question

Hi Jocelyn, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunetly I am running a 24 volt system using 12 Rolls S 590 batteries and a Outback 24/2500 inverter.
So I guess am I wondering if in reality if the flex 80 can handle the wattage, granted it is over spec, but will it work. To replace the wiring would be a expensive and time consuming affair.. I have 1/0 wiring in a 1 1/2 conduit now. Poor planning on my part, but this is where I am at. I plan to upgrade the inverter, but was staying with 24v. This is kinda my biggest question right now. I will be calling as I have a few items to buy, but I understand you may be hesitent to offer an opinion that is not "textbook".

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!