Two different sized batteries off one panel

1 Posts
Sep 8, 2010 02:10 am
Two different sized batteries off one panel

Greetings,
I have a situation where I have a 180w panel which was given to me because it was broken.  I've made it usable and waterproofed it as best I could, but that's not the point.

It's putting out 27v in "okay" sun so I figure it'll put out plenty in good sun.

My questions is, I would like to use it to charge both a 24v and a 12v battery bank.  (The 24v is my mower, so the panel is WAY overkill) I've got both 24 and 12 rated charge controllers, so if I use a down-converter on the 12v side before the charge controller, would that work?  Or would I massively screw up something?  Smiley

Thanks in advance,
Nate

PS: If it matters, both controllers are PWM.

1 Posts
Sep 23, 2010 10:41 pm
Re: Two different sized batteries off one panel

It's not the size that's the problem, it's the voltage.

A PWM charge controller works by connecting the solar panel directly to the battery.  When the charge controller determines that the battery voltage is too high, it disconnects.  Then the voltage drops, and it reconnects.

What will happen in your situation is the 24 volt charge controller will connect and pretty much stay connected until the battery is fully charged.  The 12 volt charge controller will connect and have a near infinite supply of power at 24 volts.  Most PWM controllers don't like that -- solar panels are current-limited to the short circuit current of the panel, and batteries aren't.  With a 24 volt battery now directly connected to a 12 volt battery, bad things will happen -- a very large amount of current will flow from the 24 volt batteries, through the 24 volt charge controller, through the 12 volt charge controller, and finally to the 12 volt batteries.  Somewhere along the line something is going to blow a fuse, break or catch fire.

In short, don't do it.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!