battery charging through PMG

6 Posts
Mar 21, 2012 10:03 am
battery charging through PMG

I have collected some data from my PMG while charging a 12v battery and I am not sure with them. The problem is battery charges with line voltage less than battery voltage. The issue sounds impractical but am i missing something here principally? the connection seems fine every time i check it.  
The star connected stator produces line voltage from 7.6v to 10.9v at increasing speed with its corresponding battery voltage increasing from 12.1v to 13.1v while battery charging(0.1Amp) starting at around 160 rpm at 9.1 line voltage.
could it be battery voltage suppressing the generated voltage. I was wondering how can the current flow in this situation?..

97 Posts
Mar 21, 2012 03:15 pm
Re: battery charging through PMG

Simon, your line voltage reading is correct.  An AC meter reads voltage in RMS value which is .707 x peak voltage.  So, your meter reading of 9.1 divided by .707 equals 12.87 peak volts.  Your battery is being charged by the peak voltage.  If you connected an oscilloscope in place of the meter, you would see that the peak voltage exceeds battery voltage and that is why charging is taking place.  Jon C.

6 Posts
Mar 22, 2012 06:01 am

thanks Jon...

97 Posts
Mar 22, 2012 10:44 am

You are most welcome, Simon.  :-)

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!