how to wire in a shunt for battery?

73 Posts
Jun 27, 2008 08:03 am
how to wire in a shunt for battery?

Can anyone please explain to me where and how a shunt goes in for use with a battery monitor?

the monitor I'm looking at is this one.

http://store.altenergystore.com/Meters-Communications-Site-Analysis/Meters-Battery-Monitors/Ammeters-Voltmeters-Battery-Monitors/Bogart-Engineering-PM-100-D-PentaMetric-Display-Unit/p252/

Thanks

James

184 Posts
Jun 27, 2008 09:30 am
Re: how to wire in a shunt for battery?

A shunt goes in SERIES with the battery wiring. All of the current passing into and out of the battery passes through the shunt.  The shunt is actually just a low risistance, high power resistor.  When current passes through it, a small voltage will be present across it.  The amount of voltage will change, depending on the size of the load.  The battery monitor measures this voltage and keeps track of it over time.  Using ohms law, the amount of current in and current out can be calculated, and the approximate battery state of charge can be determined.

You should check the instructions that come with the shunt and the battery monitor for exact mounting instructions and precautions.

Hope this helps.

John

Jun 27, 2008 06:24 pm

Hi James
If you will, go to the page that you have created a link to and scroll down until you see - Product Documentation -  and all the way to the right is a + sign, then click on that. A window will drop down with three choices, click on the PDF file that is a diagram, the second one down I believe. This will show you where and how to wire in the shunt on the negative side of the system depending on what you want to measure, wether its battery state of charge or perhaps just PV output or whatever.

73 Posts
Jun 27, 2008 08:49 pm

I see it now thank you Thomas...seems simple enough to hook together...will be nice to measure my small array and small battery bank..and also be set for future expansion...

Thanks

James

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!