battery temperature & distance questions

73 Posts
Jul 9, 2008 05:05 pm
battery temperature & distance questions

I live in the upper midwest at Illinois / Wisconsin border. we have some rough winters on occasion with heavy snowfall.

where can I find info on insulating a battery bank that will be set in my unheated garage? Other than ventilation what types of things (related to temperature) do I need to take into account when setting up the battery bank?

how far away can the bank be from the studio if I choose to run the inverter in the garage and send the AC power via wire to the studio?

Where does one find wire sizing for AC wire?

any help would be much appreciated. This is the last thing I need to figure out before I start building my small system.

James

97 Posts
Jul 10, 2008 01:30 pm
Re: battery temperature & distance questions

Hi James J.  I live in minnesota, just a bit north of where you are located, and the winters are cold here also.  I have my battery bank located in an unheated garage, and did not bother to insulate them.  Considering the battery capacity losses in cold temperatures, I simply installed twice as many batteries as required to satisfy system requirements.  The inverters have a temperature compensation device that mounts on the side of the battery bank, so they will adjust charge current according to the increase in battery voltage when colder.  This may not be the ideal solution, but there is another factor involved.........battery life maybe be extended when they are kept cooler, so this may be an advantage. I have not experienced any problems with this arrangement so far.  With regard to AC wire size, you may find this link informative. http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm  Best of luck to you.  Jon C.

73 Posts
Jul 10, 2008 04:09 pm

Thanks for chiming in Jon. Did you just set aside an area in the garage or did you build a battery box?

No worries about freezing the batteries?

do you run sealed lead acid or just plain lead acid?

so many questions..sorry..glad to hear from another northern climate person...

James

97 Posts
Jul 10, 2008 10:47 pm

Hi again, James J.  The batteries set against a north wall in the garage and are covered by a homemade fiberglass shell, that allows free ventilation to the rear wall.  They are plain lead acid deep cycle 6v batteries with hydrate caps. There is no danger of freezing, but then, I never allow them to run down all the way..........the inverters cut in automatically at low battery transfer level and charge them from the utility.  There is a picture of the battery cover on my album.  There is no battery box per se....they just set on a concrete slab with a 2" air gap between batteries. The location was chosen for close proximity to the fuse boxes and panels for the existing wiring, so that the wire runs would be as short as possible to minimize losses. I have learned to oversize my system by a factor of two....... twice the anticipated power consumption to compensate for cloudy periods with little wind. I appreciate your inquiry and am happy to answer any questions that you might have about my installation. :-)  Best wishes for your green power design.  Jon C.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!