backup generator hookup

4 Posts
Jul 26, 2010 07:23 pm
backup generator hookup

Hello All
I am putting in my off grid system, it will be a 3kw wind turbine with a 3 kw solar system, set up to a battery bank.

I want to have a back up generator for those rare occaisions that there is no wind or sun. 

Should I have the generator hooked to the charge controller to charge the batteries or directly to an inverter to power the home.

Thank You

Al

351 Posts
Jul 28, 2010 06:42 pm
Re: backup generator hookup

Don’t tie the generator to the charge controller, a generator will burn up a solar controller.

You didn’t say what model inverter you have, or are considering.  Some off grid inverters have a good charging circuit in them. You can run house loads and simultaneously charge the batteries from a generator.

Depending on the size of your bank and what inverter you choose, you may want to consider a large battery charger run by the generator.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!