Wiring multiple windmills

Dec 10, 2009 03:59 am
Wiring multiple windmills

hi, I would like to set up multiple windmills near my home, however I my house is in between some hills, and there is better wind on top of the hills, I would like to have a main battery bank at my house, but I was wondering if it would be best to also have small banks at each windmill, which will be 100+ yards away from my house. I know DC loses power over distance so would it also be best to to alternate the power from the windmill banks to charge the house bank? any advice? thanks

Dec 13, 2009 10:53 am
Re: Wiring multiple windmills

My first question is: Is your site on or off grid?
If on grid I might suggest looking at grid interactive wind genny systems with VAC outputs. But if there is a desire to have battery/inverter back up power, then recharge the batteries from the grid or, if the genny's happen to be producing power but the grid is down, the wind genny's using 120 VAC or 240 VAC input battery chargers.
If off grid then I might suggest still going with VAC wind genny's with step down transformer/rectifier, regulated charging systems. A system such as this might also require a "dump" or "diversion" load.  These would be things to discus with any prospective wind genny manufacturer seller and or installer.
Another question I would have and, just out of curiosty really, is: Why multiple wind genny's and not just 1 - big one?

Really the best advice I feel that I could give you would be to chose a perspective wind genny manufacturer such as Bergy, just for example, and call them on the phone, ask for a tech. rep., tell him or her your concerns and go from there, they might be willing and able to help you or the may just refer you to someone else, ether way, knowing what products each manufacturer has available is a good place to start.
http://www.awea.org/smallwind/
Good luck!

Dec 13, 2009 10:58 am

Oh! There is this other discussion board you might be interested in if this one cannot answer your questions to your satisfaction.
http://otherpower.com/
Scroll down and you will see a link to their discussion board.

Dec 13, 2009 12:25 pm

thank you,
the system is off grid, and the reason that I want to do multiple wind turbs is simply because I don't have the money to buy a big one, I will be building all of my own and I don't know where to get a stator larger than those in a freightliner alt. which is at max 300amp. and one such as this still wouldn't provide me with the kind of daily wattage I need, so Im thinking I will need multiple. on that note, do you know or have any ideas where I might find a larger stator coil?
thanks again

10 Posts
Jan 14, 2010 01:25 pm

Hello -

I'm not sure about where to get a stator coil, but about the idea for multiple battery banks, I'd say having numerous banks will add to the inefficiency of the system. If you have a bank near each turbine, then one main one near the point of use, that means you will have twice the power losses from the banks. In other words, you suffer the loss from each bank near the turbine, then from the main bank. I'd go for the largest voltage system I could get, thereby reducing the current and the required wire size, and keep a single bank near the house.

Another consideration is temperature. A battery bank on each hill will probably get exposed to greater temperature extremes than one close to your house (especially if you protect it by having it inside somewhere), and batteries generally don't like extremes. They certainly aren't as efficient.

Sincerely,

Bramley

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!