Wattage for a Wind Turbine - what does it mean?

9 Posts
Feb 27, 2008 11:58 am
Wattage for a Wind Turbine - what does it mean?

I was looking at the Air Breeze information as compared to the Air X and noticed that the Air Breeze is rated at 200W while the Air X is rated at 400W.  However the descriptions indicate that they both should generate about 20-30 kWh/month in the same wind conditions.  The descriptions also indicate that the Air Breeze is more efficient at lower speeds and is in general a better choice.

Can someone help me understand why two very similar models have a factor of 2 difference in their specifications?

Air Breeze
http://store.altenergystore.com/Wind-Systems/Wind-Turbines-Electric/Southwest-Windpower-Turbines-Parts/Air-Breeze-Electric-Wind-Turbines/c1106/

Air X
http://store.altenergystore.com/Wind-Systems/Wind-Turbines-Electric/Southwest-Windpower-Turbines-Parts/Air-X-Wind-Electric-Turbines/c417/

Thanks

578 Posts
Feb 27, 2008 12:27 pm
Re: Wattage for a Wind Turbine - what does it mean?

wattage is a rate

watt-hours is a quantity of energy

by changing the blades and controller from the air x, the air breeze has been limited on the high end instaneous power (300w 200 in most cases) in excange for lower startup and greater energy production in similar windspeed. 

intantaneous power is not really useful in measuring wind turbines apples to apples.  nobody regulates what windspeed manufacturers report this power at, so direct comparisons in instaneous power are not that useful.  you are correct in looking for the energy per month, but the spread of 10kWh is a lot considering the size of these turbines.  that is 33%. 

the air breeze is the update of the air-x which was the update of the 403.  if i had to pick, i would probably go with the breeze because noise and controller improvements.  if you had higher average annual windspeeds and thought you could take advantage of the older controller and higher potential output, you could pick the air x.  either way, it is important to understand these are small units designed for sailboats or small cabins and function best with laminar air flow free from obstructions.

hope that helps

james
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

578 Posts
Feb 27, 2008 12:33 pm

swept area is really one of the more important measurements for wind turbines.

also knowing your average annual windspeed and siting a wind turbine properly.

check out these great back issues of home power magazine for more info

home power 119 june/july 2007 and home power 122 dec07/jan08

they sell back issues on their site, in paper and pdf format

james
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

6 Posts
Mar 1, 2008 02:53 pm

The other reason is because the AIR-X was extremely over spec'ed and SouthWest received alot of negative feedback and negative company image over it.  Notice they also discontinued the mythical graph that demostrates their innacurrate wind speed to watt output.    And guys like me spent alot of time and money sending turbins back that did not meet the graph, because it was claiming more performance that it actually delivers.  Im glad to see they 're-evaluated' and came up with a more 'realistic' power curve. But who is going to reimburse me for my shipping charges and phone calls and time spent over the original 400 watt false graph?

76 Posts
Mar 2, 2008 08:01 am

When I was looking at the Air-X and Breeze, I believe now I may have come to a false conclusion about them.  It seemed to me the X was more for off-grid cabin use (where you're more likely to be able to put it up high) whereas the Breeze was more for RV or sailboat use, where you'd have to make do with lower and more unstable winds, and as a trade-off, you get less potential output.  I had no idea SWWP or Alt-E considered the Breeze an "update" of the X!  I may have bought the newer one if I'd known that.  Still, my Air-X has only been in service for a few weeks, but it has shown its ability to serve its purpose.

Maybe for my usage (on my off-grid garage w/ EV charging), it would be a good to have both a Breeze (lower startup, but lower potential) AND an X (higher startup, but higher potential) on the same building.  For most people, though, it seems like the Breeze is the best option, and the Air-X was more mystical math than realistic performance?

« Last Edit: Mar 2, 2008 08:03 am by Travis McMillian »

6 Posts
Mar 3, 2008 02:15 pm

I would be willing to bet that if you placed to two side by side you would be hard pressed to find a difference.  200 watts at 28 mph is almost exactly what I get with my air x demonstrated by six months of useage.  The old graph states 400 watts at 28mph which is 16.7 amps.  My air x self regulates (shuts down) at around 12-15 amps, and that takes about 35-40mph wind.  Not to say it is not a good turbine, but it takes two turbines to get the amount of power claimed by the old stats.  And you dont have to look far to find many owners who have the same result with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-44444-12Volt-400Watt-Generator/dp/B000C1Z2VE

26 Posts
Mar 12, 2008 07:27 am

When I was looking at the Air-X and Breeze, I believe now I may have come to a false conclusion about them.  It seemed to me the X was more for off-grid cabin use (where you're more likely to be able to put it up high) whereas the Breeze was more for RV or sailboat use, where you'd have to make do with lower and more unstable winds, and as a trade-off, you get less potential output.  I had no idea SWWP or Alt-E considered the Breeze an "update" of the X!  I may have bought the newer one if I'd known that.  Still, my Air-X has only been in service for a few weeks, but it has shown its ability to serve its purpose.

Maybe for my usage (on my off-grid garage w/ EV charging), it would be a good to have both a Breeze (lower startup, but lower potential) AND an X (higher startup, but higher potential) on the same building.  For most people, though, it seems like the Breeze is the best option, and the Air-X was more mystical math than realistic performance?

If you are considering 2 Air turbines, think about putting a bit more yet into it and look at Whisper. There is much more power to be had, even with the smallest, and swept area is substantially greater. I am happy with a whisper 100.

Jim

76 Posts
Mar 13, 2008 10:54 am

When I was looking at the Air-X and Breeze, I believe now I may have come to a false conclusion about them.  ...

If you are considering 2 Air turbines, think about putting a bit more yet into it and look at Whisper. There is much more power to be had, even with the smallest, and swept area is substantially greater. I am happy with a whisper 100.

Jim
I may do that, but I'd have to sell my existing Air-X.  The reason for wanting the smaller generator was lower start-up speed, which is important because of the instability of the wind one some days.  The garage is a nice "small-scale" experiment for understanding the best way to put it all together.  We're hoping in the next few years we'll be taking our whole house off the grid.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!