Solar Panel Prices going up!

10 Posts
Feb 7, 2005 05:05 am
Solar Panel Prices going up!

Hi

Why are solar panels prices going up? I've read that it's due to raw material shortages!! I was expecting solar panels to become cheaper as more people use them!

Regards
Brian

Feb 7, 2005 09:02 pm
Re: Solar Panel Prices going up!

I have only seen this statement made by the people at Backwoods Solar and no where else, yet. I have been meaning too investigate it further. I subscribe to the NCPV Hotline and have not seen anything from it about prices going up. There was a mention about raw material suppliers not being able to keep up with demands from manufactures world wide due to increased production of modules and an increase in the number of module manufacturers.

http://www.nrel.gov/ncpv/

10 Posts
Feb 11, 2005 05:49 am

I've found this notification on another web site which sells solar panels and others alternative energy products, and in fact it's true because their prices are going up! I printed a price list last month and compared it to today and there was a price change!

Solar panels are not cheap and it's just that I don't won't to spend money now, that the prices are going up!

Regards
Brian

Feb 11, 2005 07:05 pm

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-05 AT 04:27 AM (EST)

What can I say?
A lot of RE stores will meet a competitors price if they can. Find out if the folks you mentioned will do this, shop around and find some lower prices on PV modules. More than likley if you find a less expensive module at store B, store A will want to know who it is and then store A will just aquire it from store B for you and have it shipped from store B.

There are tons of internet RE stores out there. A lot of them, I dare say, most of them do not warehouse merchandise. There site might give one the impression that one is dealing with a really big company but the truth might be that they are working from a little desk in the corner of there dining room. Taking orders. Buying low and selling high. Anybody with a little investment money to purchase a dealership and a computor with connection to the internet can do it.

http://www.intermountainsolar.com/index.php?pg=dealerdepot/dealer_application

The only other alternative is not to buy.
PV modules are in a sellers market.
There really isnt any way to know the whole truth about what is going on. You could ask ten different people and get ten different answers.
One thing is for sure though.
BUYER BEWARE!

462 Posts
Feb 14, 2005 11:17 am

Brain, supply and demand. Now that people are catching on, and most panels are going overseas, demand is increasing, thus bigger bucks for those who need it now!

Feb 15, 2005 03:17 am

More meat for the pudding.

http://www.renewableenergyaccess.com/rea/news/story;jsessionid=a67tl3Zxb0S9?id=22425

What is it the man says?
"You cant have any pudding if you dont eat your meat. If you dont eat your meat, you cant have any pudding."
All in all.

Mar 28, 2005 09:14 pm

Well I'll be.
http://www.wired.com/news/planet/0,2782,67013,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_3
More on Silicon feed stock for photovoltaic cells shortages.

462 Posts
Jul 28, 2005 09:48 am

...plenty of silicone in Hollywood......

4 Posts
Oct 1, 2005 03:12 pm

Hmm... I always wonder if it has something to do with the innovators of solar panels and their clearly humanitarian motives.  Has anyone seen a BP, Amoco, Shell ect. Solar panel?

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!