Solar Charger for Golf Cart

2 Posts
May 17, 2007 09:19 pm
Solar Charger for Golf Cart

Hello

I am looking for basic advice on building an integrated solar cell charger for a golf cart.  I recently moved to a small island in the Bahamas and I am looking to be off the grid as much as possible, both for personal and economic reasons.  My transportation, which I don't use terribly often, is a small Ez-go golf cart that I would like to convert to solar charging.  It is a 36 volt system with a fair amount of roof space for mounting solar panels.  We get a lot of sun.  I can give further details as needed.

Any ideas, parts recomendations, schematics, etc that are available would be greatly apreciated.  I am fairly handy with electronics and construction and am happy to share my experiences back with whoever might be interested.

Thanks for any input,
Doug

578 Posts
May 18, 2007 01:07 pm
Re: Solar Charger for Golf Cart

there are 2 choices

1. get 3 small modules wired in series for 36v and find a 36v charger (probably by calling solar converters).

2.  get a 12v module sized appropriately and get an up converter like this.

http://store.altenergystore.com/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/Lower-Voltage-Pv-Charge-Controllers/Solar-Converters-Cv1236-4Pv-12V-Pv-36V-Batt-4A-Chrgr/p1244/

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

2 Posts
May 18, 2007 01:36 pm

The available roof space on the cart for mounting panels is 38 1/2 inches by 50 inches.  Do you have any recomendations on panels that would work with the above options?

Also, given the area I have to work with and the fact I have lots of sun do you think I will be generating enough energy to produce a meaningfull charge on the batteries?  I don't use the cart alot, probably less than 1 mile per day on average.

Thanks for the help,
Doug

578 Posts
May 21, 2007 12:58 pm

so sounds like you could do 3 10w or 20w modules, or perhaps fit up to an 85w if you had an up-converter.  you would have to check the dimensions of the modules you would like.

all of that is useless without the controller, since that is a  specialty item,  you may need to call solar converters.

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

6 Posts
Jun 9, 2007 03:21 pm

Yes you can I have had a solar golf cart for 3 years now and there is nothing special about it. No converters. No inverters. No nothing. Just three 12 volt solar panels stacked just like the batteries and it will work. If you want pics of my golf cart just email me. As far as a mile a day may be pushing it a bit too far but at your homestead you can have another set of three panels that is stationary to plug into the cart while its sitting. But if you cannot maintaine being there all the time then you will need a charge controller.
There is other things you need to know like tires and wheels remove them and install skinny tires like what is used on boat trailers and inflate them to 45 p.s.i. unless you have a lot of sand or mud then stay with the original tires. but with boat tires your cart will go tree times the distance.

1 Posts
Jul 1, 2007 09:30 pm

What wattage did you use for your 3 cells?  I would love to see some pictures.

2 Posts
Jul 7, 2007 06:29 pm

Hi,  I would like to see the photos of pv panel instalation on the golf cart.
Thanks
Tom
tconnell @ sonic.net

2 Posts
Jul 7, 2007 06:33 pm

Doug,
Did you fit out your golf cart with PV panels ?
Tom
tconnell @ sonic.net

1 Posts
Aug 10, 2007 08:10 pm

hi there,

i'd be pretty interested in having a look at your solar powered golf car. Sounds like a great project to get into!

Regards
Rich

1 Posts
Apr 9, 2008 10:59 pm

Hi Dane I was wondering if you still had pictures of your golf cart to offer

47 Posts
Nov 17, 2009 05:02 pm

For anyone looking for a charge controller to charge a 36V golf cart battery bank with a 12V solar panel, we carry one now. You can see it at http://www.altestore.com/store/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controllers/Solar-Converters-Charge-Controllers/Solar-Converters-CV1236-4PV-4A-Charger/p1244/.

It is also available in bigger and smaller sizes.

Amy Beaudet
AltE Store
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2009 05:08 pm by Amy Beaudet »

1 Posts
Jan 24, 2011 09:13 am

You can see pictures at www.frugaldougalsgolf.com/solarroofpanel
These are either universal 130 watt panels that fit on top of any roof or a complete roof replacement of 205 watts.

1 Posts
Aug 5, 2014 10:42 am

Hi, same issue, could you provide pictures of the panel set up on your cart. Thanks
Let me know at your convenience.

47 Posts
Nov 18, 2014 02:22 pm

Genasun now has a charge controller that can be used with up to a 325W panel on a 36V golf cart.  You can see details here: http://www.altestore.com/store/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/Electric-Vehicle-Golf-Cart-Chargers/Genasun-8A-36V-MPPT-Boost-Charge-Controller-for-Golf-Carts/p10634/.

Amy
altE Store
Solar Queen

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!