Reynolds Aluminum Solar Collector

May 15, 2006 06:58 pm
Reynolds Aluminum Solar Collector

We bought a house with a "Reynolds Aluminum Solar Collector" on the roof, with piping leading into the basement near the hot water heater.  The previous owner said that the owner before him claimed "the system leaked".  I would like to use the solar collector to hear our inground swimming pool, two stories below.  The pump and filter units are in the garage next to the basement.
  Where is information so that our handyman can check the system?  Or should we find someone who specializes in solar collectors? Is it feasible to heat our 16 x 32 foot pool with this solar hot water unit?

May 16, 2006 05:43 am
Re: Reynolds Aluminum Solar Collector

Well your Handyman should be able to tell if and where the system leaks and if it is repairable if he is truly handy. As for any specs. on the brand name collector? I could not find any.
Will it be worth while to heat your pool? That would depend. First - is it broke and if so can it be fixed? Second the size of the collector(s) can sometimes give you an indecation of its capabilities. Take a gander at this web site
< http://www.kingsolar.com >
they deal with solar water heaters for large pools. It may give you and or your handyman some ideas to extrapulate from.

462 Posts
Jun 8, 2006 01:20 pm

If you don't want to rehab the system for hot water, you should take the panels off the roof and put them on the ground near the pool and filter. How many panels, two? They won't totally heat your pool but you will get some gain off them...

6 Posts
Oct 2, 2006 01:40 pm

Hi there, Reynolds aluminum has been out of business for over twenty years and we had bought out alot of there stock when they went. They are an exceptional hot water panel for domestic hot water use, but as far as pool coverage I'm sorry to tell you but you would need many many more to heat your pool. They make a pool panel that is made of black PVC pipe that works quite well though. The system you have could be reinstalled for house hot water though and we would be the ones to call in Northern Va., we specialize in the Reynolds aluminum systems, but work with many different brands. Personally I think Reynolds made the best hot water system out there, but thats just my opinion. Questins ask solartechmaxx @ yahoo.com

6 Posts
Oct 5, 2006 08:34 am

I took over what was left of the Reynolds solar branch in Fairfax, Va in 1986. The internal piping in those panels is only 5/8" and that's too small to accommodate the volume of flow needed for your pool.The panels still can be used for hot water. Call if interested    Chris Woods   Thermal Systems Inc  703-818-0209

1 Posts
Sep 11, 2014 05:23 am

Thanks for sharing! I came accross this website to read more info on this great product:  www.archiexpo.com/prod/tisun/modular-solar-thermal-collectors-62353-160605.html

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!