Required Solar Power Agricultural Water Pump

3 Posts
Oct 21, 2008 09:16 am
Required Solar Power Agricultural Water Pump

We are looking for a Solar Energy based solution for agricultural water pumping.

Our scenario and requirements are as under:

Water Table depth is between 300 to 400 feet. Sunlight is available all year round. In summers the average day time temperature is about 50 C . In winters the night time lowest temperature is upto -3 C .  There is no snowfall in our area in past 100 years history.
Currently we already have electricity run tubewells, some having Centrifugal pumps, whereas soe have turbines , both kinds coupled with electric run motors , with average capacity of 25 HP.
The water output pipe diameter is 6 inches.

Does your company have any solution for us:
a.    Existing pumps to run on solar energey based motors.
b.    OR we need to change the pumps as well motors.
c.    Apart from motor and/or pump costs, whats cost of battery pannels, so that the same could be operated at night as well.
d.    In summers, we have season for cultivating rice. You may be aware of large water requirement by rice crop. Therefore for 5 months ( from April to August ) our pumps are running for 20 hours at a stretch.

Please advise.

20 Posts
Oct 22, 2008 07:19 pm
Re: Required Solar Power Agricultural Water Pump

Hello,

You state that current equipment uses 25HP motors.  Those are very large systems, probably unfit for solar.
To  get an accurate idea of your requirements, you need to say how much water you need per day, and also if the water needs to be lifted further up from ground level.

With a 300-400ft lift (approx 120m), the highest commercially available flow rate I'm aware of with a solar pump would be 3,000 to 5,000 gallons per day (12 to 20m3), with around 2kWp or more of solar panels.

WHich country and latitude/location are you in?  You have very large seasonal temperatures.  Solar pump manufacturers have distributors in many countries but not all.

If you are really talking about 25HP systems and 6 inch distribution pipes, the only approach I would be aware of, would be to build a large solar PV plant with large battery bank and inverter, and using standard industrial AC pumps.

If you have access to the electrical grid and want a hybrid PV+grid system, there is a company in California which has built city systems like that up to 1MW.   I forget their name, but a google search would find them.   Such systems are extremely expensive and require dedicated maintenance.

Cheers,
Michel

3 Posts
Oct 23, 2008 03:36 am

Dear Michel,
Thanks for your response.
a. Frankly I do not have a correct idea about volume of water required per day. The information which I have is that our existing four (4) water wells, are all running on normal AC grid system. All of these have pumps attached to electric AC motors. The Outflow pipes are of 6 inches diameter, therfore the bore of these wells is of 7 Inches.
b. Once the water is pumped from under-ground, we let it flow into water channels, to irrigate the fields. So there is no need to further lifted from the ground level.
c. My location is Pakistan, city is Lahore. Its Latitude and Longitude are: 31° 35' N  and 74° 20' E .
d. In your post you mentioned a solar solution of capactiy  3000 to 5000 gallons per day. Can you please guide me the the outflow pipe size ?
e. We intend to use the Solar setup during day time only for irrigation. So I think that can we have a setup without the backup batteries ?
Thanks
Omar

2 Posts
Jan 21, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi,

I am looking for water pump for Agriculture run by solar power, I am working with USAID and world bank if you can
help with latest and best way to find the right product please Email me back, we can do some cool project
Thanks.

3 Posts
Jan 23, 2009 04:02 am

Mr Aziz Safi,
Please let me know the water requirement from the proposed solar powered water pump.
Whats the location of the site ?  Its latitude & longitude.

Regards.

Omar Sharif Ch

Jan 23, 2009 07:19 pm

One way you can estimate the size PV array needed to power the pumping station is to look at the power bill. It should state how many kWh's (kilo Watt hours) are used in a month.

For example:
Lets say the pumping station consumes 200 kWh's per month during pumping season. We all know that to be the same as 200,000 watt hours.

Now we need to know the number of hours of equivalent full rated power output from a PV module.
What that means is, a PV modules power output starts out low in the morning, gradually rises to near peak output at noon and then, power output starts going back down into the evening. So we add that all up and divide it by a PV modules output.

I am going to use 5 hours of equivalent full rated power output in my example.
200,000 watt hours divided by 30 days = 6,667 watt hours per 24 hours day/night. If the pumps run day and night on utility power then divide that in half for 3,334 watt hours per day if you want it to run from just PV power with no batteries for night time use. Or if you want a utility intertied system and want to offset nightime power consumption use the the full 6,667 watt hours.

3,334 watt hours divided by 5 = 667 watt PV array.

Remember this is just an example. Don't use these figures to size your PV array.

A review of the math:
200 x 1,000 = 200,000
200,000 / 30 = 6,667
6,667 / 2 = 3,334
3,334 / 5 = 667

The biggest things you need to know are:
kilowatthours consumed by the pumping station for one, twelve hour day and, the number of hours of equivalent full rated power output of a PV module per day in your area.

Jan 24, 2009 04:01 pm

I just want to add that here in America a typical single family dwelling will use about 1,000 to 1,500 kWh's a month and, there is an over all average of about 3 to 4 hours of equivalent full rated power output from a PV module per day but, this is averaged out over the entire country and the year. Winter months will be lean while Summer months might show a surplus.
Also, PV sells for about U.S.$5.00 per watt, not installed.

1,500 x 1,000 = 1,500,000 watt hours per month.
1,500,000 / 30 = 50,000 watt hours per day.
50,000 / 3 = 16,667 watt PV array.
16,667 x $5.00 = $83,335.00 dollars.

If that same dwelling was paying the utilities $0.10 per kWh, that would be, $150.00 per month. If it payed that amount for 50 years that would be $90,000 dollars.

The photovoltaics industry is going to get its share!

Feb 3, 2009 01:25 pm

Hello Aziz,

Our company provides solar power water pumps and other water solutions for customers worldwide.

Would you please be so kind to tell us more about your project and what you require?

Thanks in advance!

Maarten.

2 Posts
Feb 9, 2009 04:44 pm

Hello Aziz,

Our company provides solar power water pumps and other water solutions for customers worldwide.

Would you please be so kind to tell us more about your project and what you require?

Thanks in advance!

Maarten.

Feb 9, 2009 04:49 pm

Hello Aziz,

We are looking forward to your answer.

Best regards,

Maarten.

4 Posts
Feb 9, 2009 11:55 pm

Omar,
Since 1HP =746W and you have 4 pumps average 25HP Your system requirements would appear to be in the 74,600 Watts.
Lets say 75KWH for every hour they run.
Batteries are out of the question for this large a power requirement. Nobody makes a DC pump with the output you require. The amperage would be to large.
To reduce your bill go with a grid tied system of as much wattage as you can afford up to 300KW. Check with the power company to see if they can handle it.  With volumn discounts it's going to cost roughly 1.25 million dollars. If it's reliability you seek get a backup generator.

351 Posts
Feb 11, 2009 01:51 pm

Omar:

I think your pumping problem is orders of magnitude greater than what is normally handled on this forum. You need to better identify what you have and then seek professional help.

I suspect that your current pumps are 415V, 50 hertz. They most likely have a combined output somewhere near 500 gpm from the 300-400 foot range, although this would be reduced if the local voltage sags, or if they are wired to a single phase.
Pumping 20 hours a day, you are looking at something in the 500,000-600,000 gallons a day range. (roughly 1900-2300 cubic meters a day).

In addition to better defining your current system, you need to define what it is you expect to achieve with the new system.  Let the professionals develop a solution for you, rather than guessing at what might solve your problem.

If you tell them you want solar, that is what they will do. If you leave all options open, they could come up with recommendations from rain water catchment to switching over to dry land rice.
Ken

1 Posts
Mar 11, 2009 01:10 pm

you can check out www.sunpumps.com

1 Posts
Oct 19, 2009 10:18 pm

I may be able to help Omar,
we farm off grid and irrigate about a 1,000 tropical trees. Our solar pump operates off two trackers and we store in two 8,000 gallon tanks. We drip irrigate rather than flood irrigate.....can either be contacted tru the forum or directly at raysubtropical @ roadrunner.net....

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!