voltage amps output

27 Posts
Sep 7, 2008 09:06 pm
voltage amps output

I have a New kyocera 50 watt panel voltage output is up to around 21.5 volts +or-short circut volts  with my volt meter with my amp meter I cannot get a reading at all. Is this possible and what can I check for before going out and purchasing a new multi meter I am checking output at the positive and negative wires between the panel and charge controller eliminating the controller.Any Troubleshooting suggestions would help.I have watched your video and tested accordingly not right at the panel like in the video but at the wires coming from the panel.
Tomorrow I'll go up on the roof
Thank You
Rene

351 Posts
Sep 8, 2008 02:28 am
Re: voltage amps output

You are at open circuit voltage, plus or minus. That is normal for no current flowing. You will have to give a better status of you system if you want help on figuring out why the current isn't flowing.

27 Posts
Sep 8, 2008 06:09 am

My batteries are charging,I see the bubbles,my Charge controller won't read amps output out of my panels,
it does read volts charging
The system seems to be working fine I just found it odd I had no amp reading so I took my multi meter and same thing it reads open circut volts 21 volts,but won't read amps
at the controller end of the wires.
I used 12 gauge house wire,so I'm not sure why things are reading volts and not amps
AGAIN I am taking this reading off the wires coming off the panel with nothing else connected so from panel 2 wires +,-
coming down my roof to multi meter
Rene

462 Posts
Sep 8, 2008 10:28 am

Rene, are you sure you are using your multimeter correctly to read amps. Most meters must be installed in series with the wire you are reading so the current passes through the meter as if it were a resistive load.
 One way to explain this is to cut one of the neg. wires coming from the panel. Attach the pos. side of the meter to the wire coming from the panel and the neg. side of the meter to the other cut end going to your load or controller. Then set your meter to read current.
  Some amp meters have a loop you can put around the wire.

« Last Edit: Sep 8, 2008 10:46 am by Tom Mayrand »

27 Posts
Sep 8, 2008 11:17 am

I just purchased a new meterand the Panel reads volts 20.1 ....Amps 2.39
so it's working.Thanks to all for the help
Now I' sending back the new charge controller it still won't read amps.
JUTA CMP24 12/24 20 amp controller
I know I should have known better.
Lesson learned
Rene

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!