snow on air-x blades

2 Posts
Jan 7, 2009 10:32 pm
snow on air-x blades

I have had my air-x land 12volt up since just before Christmas. I have seen snow sticking to the blades twice now. The first time it didn't last. At that time the blades were not turning. It seemed to melt off. Now the snow is staying on the blades and the wind is approx 15 to 20 mph.
Gusts are higher. The blades are moving slowly. I am not seeing the red light on the bottom of the turbine. Questions please. Is the snow going harm the blades? Warp or bend them? How bad of a factor will the snow play on the turbine output?
In northern new york, I'm expecting a lot more snow.
Appreciate any and all info.
Ray

220 Posts
Jan 7, 2009 11:16 pm
Re: snow on air-x blades

hi ray,

sounds like you have some good wind resources there. i've had that same concern and found that armor all seems to help with those black plastic blades and car wax works well with aluminum blades.

don't think the snow should harm them or warp them.

good luck, dave

28 Posts
Jan 8, 2009 07:54 am

My prior employer built windmills for severe climates (Alaska). They used a fairly expensive hydrophobic coating on their composite blades. Unfortunately I dont know what brand it was but you may want to try to search for it.

97 Posts
Jan 8, 2009 11:22 am

Hi Roy G.  I have had icing of my turbine (whisper 200) blades several times, without any damaging consequence, and did not find it necessary to shut down the turbines, since the ice took care of that task, and slows the turbine down to a crawl. I observed no imbalancing, mistracking, or vibration effects since the ice seems to distribute itself evenly on all blades at the same time.  The ice will evaporate directly without going to the water stage in a couple of days and more quickly when exposed to sunlight, as the blades are black in color and absorb some solar heat. Its just a nuisance effect from living in this colder climate. Wink (I do like the suggestions about hydrophobic and armorall coatings and will try this in the future. I tried paste wax on the blades with little or no effect.  Thanks all Smiley )

2 Posts
Jan 8, 2009 08:50 pm

thank you, I will try the armor all on one blade. A friend suggested Rain-x. the stuff people put on car windshields. I will try that on number two blade.
I'll try different things just so i dont have to get up there and keep cleaning the blades. I dont want to ruin them. Any other suggestions?

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!