panel wiring review please

73 Posts
Aug 16, 2008 11:35 am
panel wiring review please

I'm on my way with a small system now. I just got my 1st Kyocera KC40T panel and other items and am going to order a 2nd panel probably tomorrow. I know I should have an electrician look at this schematic, but I'd like to have a sense of how the system should be wired for my own piece of mind. I've designed the panel based on a minimal budget with the hopes of eventually getting to a pair of controllers and 6 total KC40T panels. I know it's not a big system by any means, but it should get my studio completely off the grid.

I would really appreciate some feedback on the schematic I'm proposing to use for my power panel. A couple of things I'm still a little foggy on.

does my system ground look right?
do i need a breaker between the controller and battery, even though I can "technically" disconnect the combined array at the baby box?

as always, thanks so much for the help. Everything I learned up till now has been through this community and I'm definitely still learning.

NEW EXTERNAL link to the .jpg of my panel wiring diagram:

http://picasaweb.google.com/circlingcranestudio/NewSolarSystemConstruction

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2008 10:06 am by James Johnson »

73 Posts
Aug 17, 2008 09:17 am
Re: panel wiring review please

having some strangeness with the gallery. 1 minute the image is there, the next it's gone..I keep having to re-list it in my gallery. Anywho...anyone have a chance to look at my diagram?

578 Posts
Aug 18, 2008 10:59 am

it is a little too small for me to make out the diagram, but i can tell you, yes, it is generally a good idea to have circuit breakers before and after your charge controller.

as far as grounding, in small systems, it can be trickier without a larger dc load center that has identified positive, negative and ground busbars.

some of the cabin package schematics may help you.  we make every effort in designs to meet the requirements of the code.

http://store.altenergystore.com/Kits-and-Package-Deals/Off-Grid-Systems-Cabin-Systems/c466/

james
AltE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

73 Posts
Aug 18, 2008 04:20 pm

Thanks for attempting to look at it James..Smiley I used one of the schematics from the "Cabin" packages when designing it, as well as a few ideas from Home Power. I should post a better image of it, as I would really like to get a 2nd opinion on it be fore I purchase more panels, breakers and such. Could I possibly e-mail you the .jpg?

Thanks  James

578 Posts
Aug 18, 2008 04:30 pm

sure, my first name at altenergystore dot com will do the trick.  i will get to it as soon as i have a little time.

james
altE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!