grounding a small DC/AC system?

5 Posts
Oct 2, 2008 09:54 pm
grounding a small DC/AC system?

How should I ground my system and or change it.
128 watts of PV panels with two trojan 105 AH batteries, prostar15 controller, circuit breaker box with 15 amp breakers for (each pv panel, DC power, and battery).
 Powers DC lights and DC water pump through the controller, also have a 300w suresine(truesine) inverter and a go power 1750 (modified sine)watt inverter. The sure sine inverter is wired to AC lights and outlets, the larger inverter isn't wire to anything else.
 I have two grounding rods 8 ft apart bonded with 2 gauge wire that then feeds into a grounding strip from which grounding wires run to inverters, pv panels and the AC ground.
 Do I need to separate the grounding rods/grounding system for AC and DC? Do I need to ground the negative side of my batteries? What all do I need to change with my setup.
Thanks
 Here's a pic of part of my setup

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x206/shackjack/solarsetup1.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x206/shackjack/IMG_0296.jpg

1 Posts
Oct 4, 2008 12:00 pm
Re: grounding a small DC/AC system?

Hi Todd,

I just finished up a system similar to yours and had to answer the same question.

According to the IEC, you will use the same protective EARTH ground (ground rods, #2awg) for the entire system.  The purpose of this ground is to conduct large static charges/lightning to the Earth instead of your house.  If you have PV panels or a wind turbines mounted up on a roofline or a tower, they should have grounding rods too, preferably close to the base of the mounts - not routed back to the house!

That said, the AC neutral, which is usually tied to Earth ground at the breaker panel/disconnect, should never be tied to the DC ground.  Doing so could create a safety hazard and/or damage your gear.

Also since you have two inverters, you need to have those tied into a single disconnect so that all AC power is disconnected from loads with the flip of a single lever.  The disconnect needs to be located where the fire department can easily get to it in the event of a fire.

For my system (1200W PV/Wind, 2500W AC + DC lighting), I have an AC and two DC disconnects for each source mounted on the outside of my power shed.  Each should be clearly marked.

Maybe more than you asked, but I hope this helps.

-Gregg

5 Posts
Oct 4, 2008 09:30 pm

Okay so I need to;
1- run my grounding wires from PV panels straight to a grounding rod?
2- Separate the DC and AC grounds.

- Can I run all 3 grounding systems to the same grounding rod or do i need separate ground rods for each that aren't connected/bonded to each other and a certain distant apart?
- Coming off the AC inverter I need to bond neutral to earth ground?
- I have a switch for each inverter to shut off the power supply... Can I use these or do I need an actual DC disconnect switch box?

Thank you for the info

351 Posts
Oct 5, 2008 11:45 am

Todd
Is there any other ac source in your building, or is the only ac from your inverter ?

5 Posts
Oct 5, 2008 12:13 pm

The only AC source is coming from the inverter. I have the  300 watt prosine inveter wired into lights and outlets, and i have a modified sine wave 1750 watt inverter that is hooked up to battery but i just plug a vacum and tools etc into the outlets on this inverter.

351 Posts
Oct 6, 2008 02:25 am

Todd
With your PV on a dwelling unit, you should have Ground Fault Protection on it. A common place to install this is in a DC load center.
You should also have a DC disconnect.  Your remote on/off switch for the inverter does not count as a disconnect.

You might want to download the Xantrex manual on PV fault protection, and read it. There are some good diagrams.
http://store.altenergystore.com/Enclosures-Electrical-and-Safety/Miscellaneous-Electrical-Parts/Ground-Fault-Protection/Xantrex-Pvgfp1-Ground-Fault-Brkr-100A-122448V/p2202/
Then ask any additional grounding questions that you may have.

Your current bonded grounding rods can take both the ac and dc grounds.

Yes, your ac neutral should be bonded to ground at some point downstream of the inverter.

I didn't see (and you have not mentioned) any ac overcurrent protection. I am hoping that you have at least an inline fuse, somewhere.

Ken

5 Posts
Oct 7, 2008 10:19 pm

I plan to make following changes.
- Connect PV Panel grounds straight to secondary ground rod, which is bonded to primary electrode
- Run wire same size as largest wire in system from primary ground rod up to DC ground bus, which will have wires connected from each inverter ground, equipment grounds, and neg side of battery bank.
- Bond neutral to ground in AC fuse panel and then either bond AC ground bus to Dc ground bus? Or run a direct wire from AC ground bus to primary electrode?

-Install 100A circuit breaker for my main 300 watt truesine inverter, 200A breaker for modified sine 1750 watt inverter, which will give me a fuse and DC disconnect for both inverters.

-Install
- 5A breaker in AC Fuse box
-15A breakers will remain for each PV panel, charge controller to battery, and Charge Controller to DC Loads.

Look good?

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!