exhaust venting solar shed with 48v 5 inch fan

5 Posts
Jul 19, 2009 11:15 am
exhaust venting solar shed with 48v 5 inch fan

Hi,have sealed gel filled batteries(12) in a power shed and wanted to vent heat outside,wasn't happy with choices offered 12 cfm 48v on the market.found a 5 in 48 v 220 cfm fan I bolted to a toilet flange (stainless) and a 4 inch metal  dryer vent with flapper picked up at home depot and vents heat very well.However I cant seem to find a 48volt DC thermostat so its on all the time.only using 1/3 amp but why waste a fans life if you don't need to.Any one know where I can find a thermostat?T.I.A. Eric

Jul 21, 2009 05:09 am
Re: exhaust venting solar shed with 48v 5 inch fan

I can't tell you to try it but if it were me, I would find something on the order of a single pole electric baseboard heater thermostat, ether a unit mount or wall mount, and try that. But only if it was really cheap or better yet, free. As you may already now, the bi-metal type thermostats just make or brake a circuit. A problem that may or may not happen at 48 vdc, I don't know because I never tried it, might be that the contacts weld together and then you'll be right back where you started with the fan running all the time. Also the temperature range might not go high enough for you. Typically they are from 50F to 80F.

12 Posts
Jul 21, 2009 09:00 pm

Im not sure how big your opening is, but if you could fit like 4 80MM or 120MM computer case fans in a square that might work..  I know they are each 12V at least..  I wish I could offer more assistance but that's all I could come up with.

Jeff P

220 Posts
Jul 22, 2009 04:32 pm

hi eric,

pickins' sure are slim in the 48 vdc thermostat department.

this would fall into the same category of "i can't reccomend you do this but if it were me" advice.

you may still be able to get your hands on one of those old mercury bulb thermostats to do the trick. i bet with such low currents you would be good just off the mercury switch contacts without any relay. many of those "honeywell" style thermostats had a hot/cold lever to change from a normally open to a normally closed switch. or you might be able to change the mounting position of the unit on the wall to change it from n/o to n/c.

with any solution you come up with we should mention putting a small fuse in line here at the battery output to  keep things safe.

best regards, dave

5 Posts
Jul 22, 2009 06:08 pm

thanks,I have a fuse block for all 48 volt stuff behind the 48 volt breaker on the inverter midnitesolar breaker panel.Agreed fuses are your friend, someone told me a telco fan assembly housing has a small 81 degree  and 105 degree themostat for 48 volt d.c. ,I'm hunting down the 81 degree job.no luck yet.I think they use the lower number in underground c.e.v huts and higher one in above ground cabinates.It sure is hard to find 48volt stuff.

220 Posts
Jul 22, 2009 10:30 pm

"someone told me a telco fan assembly housing has a small 81 degree�  and 105 degree themostat for 48 volt d.c"

looks like you may be on to something there.

here was another possible option.. a sealed thermal switch.

http://catalog.selcoproducts.com/item/automatic-reset/matic-reset-1-2-disc-thermostats-close-on-risebkup/ca-100?&seo=110

-also carries a dc rating.
http://www.selcoproducts.com/faq.php

do let us know how you make out.

kind regards, dave

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!