backup generator.

4 Posts
Nov 17, 2009 08:21 am
backup generator.

Hello

I am building a home and plan on being off grid.  My system will consist of wind turbine, with a battery bank.  when I can afford I will add solar modules.  My question is regarding a backup generator.  I want to use a generator for charging the batteries when I do not have wind and the batteries get below a certain level.  do you think a diesel RV generator will be enough or should i go with a larger generator.

thank you

49 Posts
Nov 17, 2009 09:11 pm
Re: backup generator.

The generator should be big enough to run your house and a little extra to charge the batteries. I am using a 15kw Kohler
 propane. The Generator is being used for the house while it charges the battery bank.

1 Posts
Nov 18, 2009 05:15 pm

Can you be more specific about 1. house size? appliances? and so on? The reason I ask is that you should probably do a heating and electrical use need based on the final product. We have a cabin style home with a combo solar/wind capacity of 2.4 KW on a 24 volt system. Our backup Generator is 8.5 kw kohler that works just fine for us. We are off-grid as well.

1 Posts
Nov 19, 2009 11:16 pm

There are some interesting generator/hot water systems at www.whispergen.com that you might consider.

3 Posts
Nov 21, 2009 04:46 pm

you may want to have a smaller genn like the honda eu-3000 as it is very quiet and runs several hours on a gallon of gas (we use them for running potable work stations and they are great) i would think you could run a small house (with solar heat and led lighting) working together with some batteries?
i guess it would depend on if you can get them with electric start?

46 Posts
Nov 23, 2009 11:05 pm

Be very careful. Sizing a gen for off grid can be tricky (at least from my experince).
1 kw gen? Maybe running at max. More like six or seven hundred watt running at best fuel effency (not to mention longevity. Try running your car motor in the red for a while).
Rick and James are right. You'll need enough to run everything, plus have enough left over to charge with. Knowing  how much that is is important.
Need auto start? Very tricky indeed...

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!