VERY Basic RV system question

3 Posts
Aug 1, 2008 10:11 am
VERY Basic RV system question

I have an off the grid travel trailer.  Currently, the lights, stereo, and water pump are powered (for 2-3 days) by a 12V deep cycle marine battery that we take home to recharge. 

I have purchased two Kyocera 130W solar panels, a Prostar 30M controller (room to expand), and 2 6V flooded GC batteries.

My question is, can someone describe in the simplest terms how to hook up all these components?  I think it is fairly simple (panels to each other then into controller, controller to battery bank, and batteries to the RV) but I am woefully ignorant of the details.  We won't be running any direct loads.

Thanks

351 Posts
Aug 2, 2008 12:25 pm
Re: VERY Basic RV system question

John:
The Prostar Manual has easy to follow instructions.  If you don’t have the manual, you can get it here.
http://store.altenergystore.com/mmsolar/others/Morningstar-ProStar-Manual.pdf
If you have questions after reading it, you will be able to ask specific questions.

Also, because there are some “real good deals” out there, please confirm that you do NOT have the PS 30M-PG (positive ground version).
Your statement that “We won't be running any direct loads”  also needs clarification as to what that means, exactly.
Ken

Aug 3, 2008 06:47 am

John, by any chance, are you wanting help with how to achieve the electrical aspects of the installation? When I "say" electrical, I am refer to how one gets the wires to and from said points safely. For example. If the PV modules are mounted to the roof of the RV, which type of conduit and conduit accessories (ie.; LB's, straps, boxes) does one use? Or, maybe the PV array, cc. and batt. are stationary at the site and you want to "plug in" the RV. As well, what type of wire? Where to place the fuses in the circuit?
If these are the types of question you would like some help with, my advice would be to make friends with a local, experienced electrician. Maybe work out some sort of barter if necessary. There can be so many variables and obstacles when preforming electrical tasks. A knowledge of all the different electrical "parts" and sizes (and tools) available might make the difference in an all day job or just a "few hours" job. It might even make the difference in how satisfied you are with the purchases you've made for years to come.
 I mean, its pretty obvious, to me, that you don't want, 10/2 Romex running form the PV array on the roof, wrapped around the vent pipe, and then down through a hole in a screen, and along the wall with bent over nails securing it, where it then runs through a door opening and is landed on the charge controller. You want a professional job done. Wires in liquid tite conduit where they are outside, fuses in boxes, all securely strapped. All neatly done, sized and typed right. No leaks. John, with the last name of Griffith, is there any chance your RV is "down east" in the Carolinas maybe?
« Last Edit: Aug 3, 2008 06:53 am by Thomas Allen Schmidt »

3 Posts
Aug 3, 2008 01:25 pm

Thanks for the replies.

The two solar panels are on a rack separate from the RV trailer.  No wiring issues there.

I do not have the PG version.

The panels are connected to the controller, and the controller is connected to the battery.  Nothing is connected to the "load."  All I intend to accomplish is to keep the battery fully charged; we are not running anything directly off the load connection.

So right now, the + and - wires from the trailer are connected to the battery terminals as they always have been; the + and - wires from the controller/battery are connected to the same terminals on the battery as the rv, and the wires from the panels of course are connected to the controller/pv.  There is nothing connect to the controller/load -- I thought the "load" hookup was for a directly-powered load (something that works only when the sun shines); we are not running any such load.

John

351 Posts
Aug 3, 2008 04:44 pm

John.
I would connect the load, to the load terminals. It will allow the controller to monitor and control all loads. (Not just when sun is out)
The controller will protect your battery against overcurrent and overtemps caused by load. It also limits battery discharge to 11.4 volts. Preventing discharges below this limit, will prolong battery life.

Ken

3 Posts
Aug 4, 2008 09:38 am

THANK YOU.  That makes a lot of sense.  I will connect the leads coming from the trailer to the Controller/load terminals.

John

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!