Using Roof Shingles instead of panels

2 Posts
Feb 7, 2007 05:35 pm
Using Roof Shingles instead of panels

Ok...we are newbies to this, so please excuse the silly questions.
We will be building a Solar home that will be off the grid...property is over 1 mile from nearest utility pole.
The house will have wood heat along with radiant floor heating, propane stove/oven, possible propane dryer, and propane hot water tank.  Everything else will be run by the electricity from the batteries & generator.  The house will be approximately 2000 sq ft with a full basement.  I utilized the calculator and we use 1750 watts of electricity per month with 2.53 minimun sun hours in the winter.  This gave me 29.98 kilowatts.  The next step is where we are stuck because we want to use the roof shingles instead of the panels.  I guess what the question is...What wattage do we need for this project and how many will we need?  If it matters, we are located in the Catskill mountains of NY.  I'm really not sure what else you need to know, so just ask.  Thanks for your help Smiley

Lori C.

351 Posts
Feb 8, 2007 05:12 pm
Re: Using Roof Shingles instead of panels

Lori:

The first thing you need to do is start over.  Your phrase “the calculator and we use 1750 watts of electricity per month” makes NO sense.  The Calculator was looking for kilowatt-hours (kWh) per month. (watts and kilowatts are amounts of flow, watt-hours and kilowatt-hours are a total quantity used)

1750 kWh a month is an outlandish amount of power. Depending on what you mean by “Solar House” 1750kWh is roughly 3-7 times the power that I would expect.

If you go back to the calculator page, there is a link to a “load calculator” near the top of the page. Click on it and fill out the form for every light bulb and electrical appliance you plan on having in the new house. It might help to print hard copies and fill them out room by room. You can then combine the totals.
Also complete one for water pumping/shop/outdoor electric loads. (You need to estimate the well depth and the total quantity of water used per month)

I am assuming that the house in the Catskills, has more land than a typical city lot.
Under that assumption, I would discourage any type of roof mount system, including shingles. You probably will have snow.  Are you going up on the roof to sweep the snow off the PV panels?   Or do you just wait for it to melt before getting your generation back ?  Having a ground mounted rack system makes it safer and easier for snow removal, washing the panels, or other work on the system.

Getting the PV panels off the roof will also allow far more freedom in designing the house. You will not have to make compromises between desirable features (Aesthetic or energy related), to make allowances for roof mounted shingles or panels.

Ken

578 Posts
Feb 8, 2007 05:49 pm

ken, thanks for the post, have been busy in preparation for going to costa rica.  I'll be working from our office down there for a couple weeks. 

lori,

as per usual, ken is on the money.  I'm not sure how you got the numbers you did, but I would try again.  remember, watts is a rate, like miles per hour. 

if somebody asked you how far you drove, you would not reply 50 miles per hour.  That is the same as saying we use 1750 watts. 

to do it right, take each load and note its RATE of energy usage in WATTS.  take that number and multiply it by the number of hours you use that thing in a day.  that will give you watt-hours - a quantity of energy used.

do that with everything that uses electricity.  sum up the total in watt-hours and multiply by 30 to get watt hours per month.

post again and i am sure you will get more help, or call the sales staff here.

good luck,

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

578 Posts
Feb 8, 2007 06:04 pm

oh, as for the shingles. . .

I love unisolar, but that is a complicated wiring job to say the least.  For grid tie, maybe, if you just loved the look of simulated regular shingles that produce electricity.

For off grid, I vote no.  They are way more expensive in price per watt, more difficult to wire, and then there are the other issues that ken brought up.

I would  pick nice simple framed pv modules that will look forward to serving your family for 25 years without moving parts, noise, or the responsibility of keeping your roof weatherproof.

If you have a thing for unisolar, use the 64.  I like those a lot.

james - Alt-E staff

-

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

351 Posts
Feb 9, 2007 03:25 am

James:

I hope you will be able to find some time for the board while in Costa Rica.
I think your presence as a resident staffer has added to the quality of the board.  I remember a time when there was very little, if any, staff presence.

While playing with some numbers for the roofing products, I realized that your cost per watt figures are not a real valid comparison for the unschooled.  You are dividing the panel cost by the panel wattage, regardless of the panel voltage.

The 64W, 12V Roofing laminate is listed at 5.44 a watt.
The 136W 24V is listed at 5.39 a watt. 
If you are building a 24V system and intend on using the 64W, it will cost 10.88 a watt.

Perhaps in addition, you could list a WV (watt volt) price for comparison purposes. Panel cost divided by watts times nominal volts.
I will also throw in the Sharp 170W PV panel at 4.95 a watt.

The  64W,12V becomes $0.9545 per WV
The 136W,24V becomes $0.2246 per WV.
The 170W,24V becomes $0.2063 per WV.
Simple, which one is the best value ?

(for fun, you could use VoltWatts. That way it would be a VW price) :-)

The same comparison error can creep into a watt per square foot figure.
The 64W 12V  is  5.48 w/ft2 and becomes  65.83 wv/ft2.
The 136W 24V is  6.04 w/ft2 and becomes 145.07 wv/ft2
The 170W 24V is 12.34 w/ft2 and becomes 296.13 wv/ft2
Again, it makes it real clear which panel gives the most energy density per square foot.
(I used the gross dimensions of the roof panels in this example, not exposed area. I didn’t take the time to research the overlap)

I know you guys have probably wrestled with this internally. Hope the suggestion might be of use.

Have fun in Costa Rica.

Ken

2 Posts
Feb 9, 2007 05:04 pm

OK guys...we have totally dumped the idea of the solar roofing shingles (we didn't think about the snow build-up).
I went back to my electric bill and did a 13 month average for the kilowatts used and it's 1000 kwh (not watts as I said in my first post).  Hopefully, this makes more sense.
I used your website calculator, keyed in the 1000 kwh and found our nearest city (which is about 45 miles away).  The calculator told me that I need a total wattage of 17,128.  Now, using for ex. 125 wattage panel, the calcultor states that I need 138 panels.  Is this correct?
I guess what I'm asking is....
What is the best or proper panel wattage for a home of this size...2000 sq ft) that will be OFF the Grid completely?
What voltage for the batteries do we go with & how many?
Told you we were newbies Smiley...Thanks for your input.
Lori

351 Posts
Feb 10, 2007 05:21 pm

Lori:

The answers the calculator gave you are correct, if you are trying to take your current home off grid and maintain your current electrical consumption. 

That is not a good approach to build a house off grid. And 1000 kWh a month is still a tremendous amount of power for an off grid system. The 17.2kw system to support the 1000kwh per month will cost a bundle, approximately $225,000.   

You have listed (in your initial post) many factors that should lower your power requirements in the new house.  If you want to estimate an approximate monthly kWh  figure now, use the room by room inventory/estimate method that James and I talked about in our earlier posts. See what that number comes up to.

A word of warning, the first number you come up with, will most likely be too low. It is generally a re-iterative process of going back through and saying how many hours will this light burn? What else electrical is in this room? What did I miss?  You massage the number to something you are comfortable with.  The inventory will also point out things to you that are an opportunity for further savings. This is area lighting, it can be a compact florescent, 13 watts instead of 100w. This refrigerator that I wanted burns to much energy, what models are more efficient ?. A new washer will save money, etc.
By putting a tubular skylight in, I can cut down on using this light during daylight hours.

After you firm up the size (kWh per month), then you can talk system voltage, size and number of panels, batteries, etc.  The Monthly kWh figure drives everything else.

Are you using an architect for this new house ? (If not, who did the design or where did you get the design from?)  He/she could probably help with the room by room electrical loads estimate, and they may have completed parts of one already.

Energy efficiency (or conservation) is ALWAYS cheaper than generation. Since you are designing the new house, you have the best opportunity to save (energy and money) by putting the right features in the house, selecting the right lighting and appliances, etc, before it is constructed. The less electricity the house needs, the lower the cost of your system.

Ken

26 Posts
Mar 22, 2007 02:59 pm

Just to focus on the conservation idea and give it some more force: estimates vary, but every dollar spent on conservation will return in the range of $3-5 on system costs. This makes it very worthwhile to work hard on it!

We consider ourselves to be 'hyper-conservative' having built our off-grid home back in the expensive days of the late 80's, on a low budget. We don't have a way to *really* know, but we guess that we generate (and use) in the range of 30 kwh per month.

We have several varieties of panel, one of which is Uni-solar 64 (about half of our sloar production) and like them a lot.
Jim

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!