Unisolar Module or is there better?

1 Posts
Oct 1, 2006 04:51 pm
Unisolar Module or is there better?

We have a 33ft sailboat, with a sm. refrig drawing approx. 24watts, and other minimal draws (led lites, and very little other stuff).  We are looking at 2 Unisolar 64W panels.  Attractives include no glass, unbreakable, 20yr warranty, etc.  Would anyone suggest something else instead.  Would you suggest 1 of the 130W Unisolar instead?  The boat will be in Belize year round.

27 Posts
Oct 1, 2006 08:40 pm
Re: Unisolar Module or is there better?

Hello Bob,
  Those are really nice panels for a boat. Either those or the Kyocera 130's, since they are certified to be used in marine environments. But I think your first choice is the best one, the UniSolar's that is.--Ben

The Alternative Energy Store
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.AltEnergyStore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x101  or +1.978.562.5858 x101
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

578 Posts
Oct 2, 2006 12:11 pm

to my knowledge unisolar does not make a 130w module.  They have a 124w module, but it is nearly 8ft long.  For a boat, I would also suggest either kyocera or unisolar.  the unisolar will be better with shading but will have poorer power density.  feel free to call with any questions.

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

3 Posts
Oct 22, 2006 11:41 am

my recommendation would be the kyocera panels. unisolar panels are to bulky for their output.
i live on a 37' sailboat and have 2 kyocera and 1.5 matrix panels and have had no problems with glass breakage.

351 Posts
Oct 22, 2006 01:28 pm

2 smaller panels are often easier to place on the boat. If they are not side by side, shading of both panels is rare. If one is damaged or quits working, you still have 1/2 pwoer to limp by on, while you are waiting for a replacement.

2 Posts
Nov 29, 2006 07:13 pm

Interested in your comments. I got a good deal on 2 KC120's, but am thinking about only installing one on my 34' sailboat. How close are you to the edge of your energy budget?  Are you an electronics fiend- or sparse?

Cheers-  Brad
geobartman @ gmail.com

3 Posts
Dec 4, 2006 02:26 pm

On my boat im running an aprox. 300 watt array which mounted flat averages around 60 amps per day. If I can aim the panels theyll easily clear 100 amps per day. being at anchor full time though, its hard to hold the boat steady enough to aim the panels.
My energy requirments are pretty basic, fridge,lights,cd player and laptop. The electronics on board are also basic, vhf,gps and depthsounder.
The only consumer I have to watch is the laptop which I also use to watch movies. if I where to watch a move every night and have one shady day I'd lose ground, otherwise I have plenty of power.
Not knowing your boats particulars or your intended use, Cant say whether one panel would be enough. I would recommend from my own experience that you wire the panels, even if you only use one of them with a minimum of #8 tinned wire. It'll make a noticable difference.
Hope that was helpful.       
  Dale

26 Posts
Dec 5, 2006 07:31 am

the comment on power and size is a reasonable one - unisolar is larger 'per watt' than other panels. But I think they make sense on a boat, especially if you are going for the flexible ones. We use uni-solar in our land-based system and like their output in lower light situations and relative tolerance of shading (a significant issue, I have to think, on a sail boat) since even modest shadow - say, from a mast - can impact output in the crystaline panels.

Don't underestimate that small fridge. Even a small load, running much of the time, adds up fast!
Jim

18 Posts
Mar 26, 2007 09:22 am

I'd go with the uni-solar just because of their ability to generate power in less-than-ideal lighting conditions, being your shade, clouds, bird droppings, and whatever else you will encounter on the sea. As for cost, yes, they have a higher $/watt but when you factor in that they can produce, on average, 2 hours more per day than mono or poly crystalline, they can actually pay for themselves faster. I hope this has been helpful.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!