Solar recirculating pump system for solar pool heater.

2 Posts
May 15, 2009 10:11 pm
Solar recirculating pump system for solar pool heater.

I am new to solar, but I want to put together a system that will circulate water out of and into my pool.  I have made some solar panels to heat up the water, and I want to circulate it with a pump powered by a solar panel.  The water heating panels are on about the same level as the pool, so the pump won't have to work too hard.

I was thinking about using a Shurflo 2088-474-144 24Vdc Std Surface Pump.  I want the pump to start running when the sun is heating the panels, so I would like to run the pump directly off of the PV panel.  Will this work, and what do I need to make it work?  I can get a SUN-120 PV panel for a good price, so I was thinking about trying to use that.  Unfortunately, the panel is an 18 volt panel, and the pump is 24 volts.  Can I use this panel, or not?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009 10:14 pm by Dan Busse »

163 Posts
May 19, 2009 12:21 pm
Re: Solar recirculating pump system for solar pool heater.

Dan,

The 18V panel will probably operate the pump, but I don't think the Shurflo pump was designed to pump hot water. You may have a problem with plastic parts melting. You can find pumps for that purpose here:
https://store.altestore.com/Solar-Water-Pumps/Circulating-Pumps/c490/

I have been using the El Cid for two years now to circulate hot water without a problem using a 10 Watt panel. The El Cid is about twice as expensive as the Shurflo, but it has the same capacity of about 3 gals per minute, and it pumps it with 10 watts of power instead of the 100 watts the Shurflo pump requires. So when comparing a 10 watt panel to a 100 watt panel your total cost to pump would be less and you don't have to worry about the temperature destroying the pump.

2 Posts
May 19, 2009 08:01 pm

John,

Thanks for the reply.  I another questions about the pump you suggested.  Firstly, I will be pulling cool water out of the pool, and then sending it through the panels, so I shouldn't need a pump to handle high temps.  The pump system you suggested sounds good, however, can the El Sid handle the chlorine that will be in the pool water?  The Shurflo pump description says that it can handle chemicals.  I don't know if that means chlorine or not which is something I am trying to find out about.

Thanks,  Dan

163 Posts
May 21, 2009 10:46 am

Dan,

I don't know, as I only use it to circulate fresh water. Your best bet is to get answers direct from the manufacturer.

John

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!