Solar Water Heater Problem.

1 Posts
Jun 23, 2009 05:05 pm
Solar Water Heater Problem.

After about 10 years of not running due to the circulation pump being broken, I decided to replace it and get the system going again.  I believe this to be a closed system – forced circulation.  After installing the new pump I replace the reservoir with distilled water (as stated on tank) plugged in the pump to the control module and away it goes… problem is its not flowing up to the panels on the roof.  The pump gets hot after a bit (it’s cooled by the water it pumps).  All valves are open, there are no valves on the panels, I have tried the reservoir full, half full, ¾ full.  Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

220 Posts
Jun 24, 2009 01:20 am
Re: Solar Water Heater Problem.

hello mr. miles,

cheers on getting that water heater back on line. my efforts have been very limited working with these systems. but it looks like there is little that can go wrong with those closed loop drainback systems (sounds like what you have).

http://www.homepower.com/basics/hotwater/

with the proper sized pump it should be like you said plug it in and "away it goes".

the only things i can think of would be either an undersized pump or the crazy chance that we somehow have the pump direction of flow reversed. should be from reservoir to panel.

we have some folks that come around the forum from time to time that do this for a living. hopefully they might pop by to help nail the trouble down.

best of luck, dave

462 Posts
Jun 28, 2009 12:27 pm
Re: Solar Water Heater Problem.

James, if there is a reservoir where you can actually see the water that is being pumped up to the panels, then it is probably not a closed loop system. First, look and see if there is a check valve in line, then make sure the pump is installed in the right direction. There should be an arrow on the pump housing to show pumping direction.
 If the system has been sitting idle for ten years there could be debris in the piping or panels. The best way to make sure all is clear is to hook up a hose to the system and run house pressure through it.
 If indeed it is a drainback system with a reservoir, you have to make sure the pump is located such that it is full of water in order to maintain a prime.
 Another problem could be water remaining in the panels themselves. If it gets hot, they can build up pressure that the pump cannot overcome. If so flush and cool the panels using a hose and house pressure as mentioned above.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!