Solar Powered DC Water Pump

2 Posts
Feb 17, 2008 01:00 am
Solar Powered DC Water Pump

Hello, I will be traveling to Mina Nigeria next month to replace a gas powered water pump used for irrigation. Here is the scenario. What size DC pump and solar panel do I need to pump about 10,000 gallons of water per day from the river up 40 feet in elevation thru a 2 inch pipe about 800 yards. Any ideas/solutions?

Thank you in advance
Terry Lewis

9 Posts
Feb 17, 2008 10:22 am
Re: Solar Powered DC Water Pump

Wow, assuming you can get 7 hours of sun light a day from solar you would need a bunch!  10,000 gallons a day would work out to about 24 gallons per min. X 60 Min's X 7 hours, a monumental task for a solar array.  I would consider a undershot water wheel driven by the river current hooked to a pump. You could use a stationary wheel or a floating platform (boat - with 2 paddle wheels)and a belt or gear drive pump. Since the water wheel will run 24/7 you would only need a pump that delivers about 7 gal. per min.  I have a rough sketch of a similar arrangement for electrical generation if you visit alternativeenergy.com and look up my profile, we can get in touch and email each other.  Look under Jim c. Look for the solar powered canoe in pictures to find me.
Jim C.

2 Posts
Feb 17, 2008 11:14 am

Thanks Jim For the reply. I was going off a template drawing from the Solar Energy Light Fund web site. There has to be a template of equipment that can be bought that will irrigate about a hectar of land for crops for these people and last 20 years. Right now they rely on seasonal rains and starve 1/2 the year. My wife and I have commited to building a school for about 100 children. We would like the crops to feed them at least 1 good meal a day. The area is stable from war. The Catholic Church is supportive in the area.

2 Posts
Feb 17, 2008 05:37 pm

Dear Terry, I suggest you use 2 x Grundfos SQF2.5 pumps. Each pump will deliver about 22000 liters per day(4900 gall per day). Power each pump with a 1kw array of PV. Alternatively use the Grundfos 5A6 pump with a 1.6Kw array PV. The delivery will be about 7000 gall per day. We have used the Grundfos range of RE pumps extensively in our country and they are marvelous. They can be powered with a DC supply like PV or Wind or combination,from 30V to 300VDC or 90V to 240V AC from a generator or mains supply without any problems.
Feel free to email if you need more info or a quotation to deliver to Nigeria.

Andre Friend
Telecom Techniques Solar
South Africa
www.teltec.co.za
e mail: frienda @ intekom.co.za

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!