Snow & Ice Buildup On Solar Panels

3 Posts
Oct 22, 2007 03:32 pm
Snow & Ice Buildup On Solar Panels

Has anyone ever tried using a surfactant product like Rain-X on panel surfaces to stop or slow the buildup of snow or ice?  I thought first of a silicone product like WD-40 but I don't know about the reaction with the carbonate surface of the panels.

Thanks,

Mike
Casper, Wyoming

3 Posts
Oct 23, 2007 04:05 am
Re: Snow & Ice Buildup On Solar Panels

Mike, I was thinking of the same thing for my satellite antennas, my solar panels might benefit also

BUT WD40 is NOT silicone based and due to its extremely volitle vehicle (the solvent. I will no longer keep it in my inventory. This stuff will pretty much instantly destroy the finish on most petroleum based proucts (Plastics) It is a water displacing penetrant designed for Naval vessels. Read it carefully and it warns of ignition sources, in the past I used it for starting fluid!

Silicone based products SAY silicone on them, that would be my first choice for my satellite antennas and posibly automotive wax like a carnuba product.

In considering the solar panels sensitivity to dirt I would try  Rain-X because of its clarity on car windshields It probably will not have a negative effect on the panels ability to produce power and be less likely to attract dirt as a liquid product might.

Just some things to consider, hopefully other have had some success stories as I am just getting my feet wet in this field.   

462 Posts
Oct 24, 2007 08:38 am

Michael, an easy way to remove ice and water from panels is to use a hose with warm water. Hopefully you have enough pressure to reach your roof. This is another reason why ground mounting prevails in my book......

184 Posts
Oct 24, 2007 03:23 pm

Or get your wife to climb up on the roof and wipe the snow from the panels.

(I'm kidding, I'm kidding!)

John

5 Posts
Oct 29, 2007 03:14 pm

Shouldn't the snow fall off naturally, due to the angle of the panel? Just wondering...

184 Posts
Oct 30, 2007 09:10 am

As the sun warms my roof and panels, the snow does indeed fall off.  In the winter I adjust the tilt (angle) of my panels to about 51 degrees which also helps.  Some pictures can be found on my blog:

http://solarjohn.blogspot.com

John

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!