Sizing a Charge Controller –

18 Posts
Aug 27, 2008 07:23 am
Sizing a Charge Controller –

I am designing a 3KW, ‘24V’ off-grid solar project.  The way I see it, to float the batteries at the proper voltage (28.8VDC) I calculate the current to be roughly 105 amps at peak. 
The planned battery bank will be 1150AH.
Is this calculation close? 
What size MPPT charge controller do I need? . .
Can I bridge them together in parallel if need be? . .
Still trying to wrap my head around this. . .
Thank you.

Aug 29, 2008 08:35 am
Re: Sizing a Charge Controller –

The size of the charge controller is determined by the total short circuit amperage (Isc.) rating of the PV array plus 156%.
3000 watts at 24 volts would be 125 amps, but the Isc. will be  higher than this.
Just as an example, lets assume the Isc. totals up to 135 amps. According to the NEC 125% more must be added to that 135 amps, in addition to the 125% that UL requires. 125% X 125% = 156%.
135 X 156% = 211 amps. Believe it or not! This would be the amperage used to calculate; Wire type and size, disconnects, fuses and or breakers, and charge controllers.

Assuming this same PV array in the example above...
@ 48 volts = 106 amps
@ 125 volts = 41 amps
This is the splendor of MPPT technology. You can utilize a higher PV array nominal voltage to charge a battery bank of a lower nominal voltage.
So to answer those questions, it depends on the nominal voltage of the PV array.
1105 amp hours @ 24 volts nominal battery bank.
1105 / 5 = 221 amp hours.
On a good day, a 3000 watt PV array @ 24 volts nominal should produce somewhere around 375 amp hours, conservatively.
3000 X 3 / 24
Of course your mileage may vary.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!