Seasonal pv/solar pool heating

1 Posts
Apr 9, 2009 03:45 pm
Seasonal pv/solar pool heating

I have a 28,000 gallon swimming pool in a wooded area in Raleigh, NC.  The pool has the problem of being generally a little too cold, even in August.  The pool does get direct sun at the norther end, but the heat loss at the surface ends up overtaking the heat gain.  The optimum solution (start with conservation) would be to install a thermal or solar cover, as according to NREL over 70% of the heat is lost through evaporation (water is lost, too).  However, our family does not agree that a cover is the best solution for a number of reasons.

I don't want the complexity of a permanent glazed or unglazed collector system, and there is not really a suitable location for the appropriately sized and angled collector system.

So, the solution I am interested in would consist of a number of unglazed collectors laid out in the sunny area of the pool deck (room, say for 3-4 4x8 collectors).  To that I would add a 50 W 12 v pv panel and a Laing or ElSid pump designed for direct pv use.  In the coming months, I lay out the system, drop an inlet and outlet into the pool, and see what happens.

Efficiency is not that big a concern, simplicity and portableness (and for the pump not to fail) is.  Is this terribly flawed?  Is oversizing the pv panel an issue?
« Last Edit: Apr 9, 2009 03:57 pm by Wayne Jones »

Apr 12, 2009 06:25 am
Re: Seasonal pv/solar pool heating

Wow! I've heard of folks throwing in bags and or blocks of ice trying to cool pool water down (unsuccessfully of course. Unless you hugged the bag of ice!) but this is the first I've heard of pool water being "a little to cold."
Sorry if that sounded critical Wayne. Not intended.
Carolina summers can be sweltering with 98 degree days and 89 percent humidity.
I guess you already know about these?
http://www.kingsolar.com/catalog/mfg/sun-swim/16004-08.html
I don't know for sure but it would seem that they could be drained and rolled up for winter storage.
I guess your pools filter/pump system is not conveniently located to adapt its plumping to these as a means of circulation?
As for the "50 W 12 v pv panel and a Laing or ElSid pump designed for direct pv use."

Lets take a look at how many hours of equivalent full rated power from a PV module you might get. Go here http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/redbook/atlas/  and choose; maximum, June or July, Flat Plate Tilted South at Latitude - 15 Degrees.
I see 5 to 6 hours for the Carolina's. I'll use 6 hours of equivalent full rated power from a PV module. Now go here and look at the chart for an SID-10PV.
http://www.acs-solarsystems.com/Solar_Pumps.htm
It shows the SID-10PV moving 12 liters per minute or 3.17 gallons per minute.
So in 6 hours thats 1,141.22 gallons of 28,000. This would be under ideal conditions mind you.
Now lets look at the Sun Swim collector data again. I see were its energy output per standard day: 31,500 BTU.
One BTU being the amount of energy it takes to heat 1 pound of water from 60 to 61 degrees Fahrenheit. Based on 1 gallon of water weighing 8 pounds and the possibility that 1,141 gallons per day is moved through 1 - 4'x 8' collector, that would be a rise of 3.45 degrees per day. With three collectors, 10.35 degrees per day.
So in a perfect world and if my computations are correct, (would somebody check my thermal computations for accuracy please?) with three - 4'x 8' collectors it might be possible to rise the temperature of your pool by 10 degrees Fahrenheit in 24.5 days. Not accounting for any losses at night or rain and wind effects. I have heard it said that the collector area in square feet should be at least half of the pool area in square feet.
Please check with a professional. Don't just take my word for it. I am not a solar pool heater expert.
I would appreciate it if you let us know how it all turns out for you though. Good luck.

351 Posts
Apr 12, 2009 05:58 pm
Re: Seasonal pv/solar pool heating

Thomas’ calculations are correct as far as raw heat gain. I came up with about 0.42 degrees F per day or 23.7 days for a 10 degree heat gain, based upon 3 panels and ZERO losses.
However, we cannot ignore the losses. So these numbers are pretty meaningless.

Here in Northern California, most people use their pools between  3-6 months a year and we find that a typical installation runs between 50-70 percent of the pool area. (the spread in those numbers really depends on the number of months and/or exactly where in N. Calif. it is. We have a bunch of micro climates)

Assuming that your pool is about 15x30 or about 450 sq. ft and in ground, those numbers would indicate that you could need somewhere in the range of 7-10 panels to provide supplemental heat. This assumes a desired water temp of 80 degrees F. 
(For Florida, where many people are trying to use their pools year round, I understand the recommendation is about 100 percent of the pool area.)

As far as a pool cover, most of the numbers are calculated based upon the use of a cover when night time temps drop more than 15 degrees F below your desired water temperature.  So, if the desired temp is 80, it is a pool cover when the nighttime low falls below 65 degrees F.  OR, you need to increase the heat input.

Doing another back of the envelope type calculation, I came up with about 14 panels to achieve and hold an 10 degree heat rise (to an 80 degree temperature) w/o a cover.  So, would you want to buy an extra 4-7 panels to avoid using a cover ? Maybe discussing a motorized cover (or other easy cover/uncover method) might help.

But, so far, our calculations are based on a lot of assumptions.  You need to be more specific about your needs, either here, or with a professional in your area (best choice).  What is the surface area of your pool, is it in ground or above ground, what is the typical water temp, how much heat gain are you actually looking for, during what months etc. What is the horsepower and gpm of your current pool pump and how many hours a day are you currently running it ?

I don’t want to sound all doom and gloom.  I have run into situations where with a large enough pool pump being run enough hours, installing couple of valves and  a few hundred feet of 1.5 or 2 inch black plastic pipe, provided enough heat gain to satisfy the wants and needs of the owner.  Some people are not after an 80 degree pool, they just want something to take the edge off.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2009 06:02 pm by ken hall »

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!