Preparing an off-grid system - Comments? Concerns?

5 Posts
Jan 8, 2007 02:49 pm
Preparing an off-grid system - Comments? Concerns?

Hello,
I am preparing to purchase an off-grid RE system.  I am planning on using the following components, but have no experience with these products or companies.  I would appreciate any comments or personal experiences that might reinforce my decision or sway me to another product.  I am mainly interested in quality, reliability, supportability, etc.

Evergreen Solar EC120 panels
Outback MPPT charge controller
Trojan L-16 (HD) batteries
Outback (VFX Series) Ventilated Inverter

Thank you,

Dustin

578 Posts
Jan 8, 2007 02:54 pm
Re: Preparing an off-grid system - Comments? Concerns?

sounds good to me, except that the evergreen cedar series 94-120 have been discontinued.  If that is what you want, order sooner than later, as everybody's quantities are running low.  Also keep in mind that for future expansion on your mx 60, you want to have an array of like modules, so choosing a discontinued module may not be the best choice if slow expansion is in the plans.

- james Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

5 Posts
Jan 8, 2007 03:53 pm

James,

Thanks for your fast reply.  I appreciate this information, because I did not know the Cedar series was discontinued.  Since I will be using a MPPT controller and staggering my purchases, I will certainly choose a different solar panel. 

Besides the obvious advantages of an 18V panel, is the Spruce series as good as its predecesor?  Or can you suggest an alternative panel that has a history of happy customers? 

Thanks,
Dustin

578 Posts
Jan 9, 2007 10:27 am

18 volters can be tricky depending what nominal voltage you are running.  For a 24v system you will need two in series, and for 48v nominal you will need 3 in series. 

As long as you select a solid name brand module that is UL listed, you should be fine.  Select one that fits the needs of your location (heat, shading, space, . . .).

james - Alt-E staff

AltE

5 Posts
Jan 10, 2007 03:12 pm

Rather than use the 18V Evergreen panels, I decided to buy some Kyocera 130w panels(12v).  I simply like the looks of them.  :-) 

I just bought two of them and plan on buying more if I like the performance with the Outback mx60 controller.

So my updated plan is:
Kyocera KC130 panels
Outback mx60 controller
Trojan L16HC's (or the Surrette equivilent)
Outback VFX 3648

Thanks!
Dustin Denkins

578 Posts
Jan 10, 2007 03:25 pm

great, kyocera are nice modules as well.

MK makes a nice L16 size battery too if you are looking.

good luck with the system.

james - Alt-E staff

AltE

26 Posts
Jan 21, 2007 07:47 am

One thing I don't see on your list is a system monitor. I strongly recommend one as a safeguard and method of keeping track. I use the tri-metric and like it; there are others that are similar.

Jim

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!