Pole Mounting - Use the Pole as Ground?

72 Posts
Aug 8, 2009 01:09 pm
Pole Mounting - Use the Pole as Ground?

Can you use a steel ( 6 inch schedule 40 ), in 4 foot of concrete, as the system ground?

Aug 9, 2009 05:37 pm
Re: Pole Mounting - Use the Pole as Ground?

Probably not the greatest equipment grounding electrode (ground rod.) I am not sure how its done in your area but, where I am, if we have to drive a "ground rod," if only one 8 foot long by 5/8 diameter galvanized steel rod is driven, it has to be certified by a third party to be at 25 ohms or less or, two can be be driven no less than 6 foot apart, all the way down, no questions asked. But, I am guessing that 6 inch steel pole is a PV array and if its all going back to a grid tied home, it may only need one. This would be up to your "authority having local jurisdiction" (local electrical inspector) of course.

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f9/connecting-two-ground-rods-2235/

578 Posts
Aug 10, 2009 10:25 am

in most cases the pole is not used as a grounding electrode.  a separate one is driven in.  usually the poles are encased in large concrete foundation, and this limits its ability to pass current to ground.  when driving ground rods in dry climates, often it takes more than one ground rod to successfully meet the required ohms to ground measurement for a safe ground.  in most cases i suspect that this is the case for the pole, offering too much resistance from the concrete foundation.

i would love to hear from others with experience on this topic

james
altE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

351 Posts
Aug 10, 2009 12:13 pm

Concrete isn't a problem.
In my area, Ufer grounds (concrete encased) are common.

(3) Concrete-Encased Electrode.
An electrode encased by at least 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete, located within and
near the bottom of a concrete foundation or footing that is in direct contact with the earth, consisting of at least 6.0 m (20 ft) of one or more bare or zinc galvanized or other
electrically conductive coated steel reinforcing bars or rods of not less than 13 mm (1.2 in.) in diameter, or consisting of at least 6.0 m (20 ft) of bare copper conductor not smaller than 4 AWG. Reinforcing bars shall be permitted to be bonded together by the usual steel tie wires or other effective means. Where multiple concrete-encased electrodes are present at a building or structure, it shall be permissible to bond only one into the grounding electrode system.

The OP's pole does not meet the requirements as a ground rod or a Ufer.

The zinc plated steel mentioned by Tom is not accepted by our local authorities. It must be copper clad. The testing for a single rod is too much of a hassle to deal with. So, you drive two, or use the Ufer.

11 Posts
Aug 11, 2009 04:53 pm

after reading that I have but 1 question, Since I have a reinforced concrete home  If I attach my ground from the panels to rebar that is connected to my foundation/footings would that act as ground for just my panels? I have a separate ground rod pounded in for the ground for the balance of system

72 Posts
Aug 11, 2009 07:40 pm

... The OP's pole does not meet the requirements as a ground rod or a Ufer. ...

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!