Parallel Batteries

16 Posts
Jul 29, 2008 08:28 pm
Parallel Batteries

Based on the feedback from the forum, I'm looking at upping my planned batteries for an off grid cabin from 2 GC2s (Golf Cart Batteries) to either 4 GC2s or 2 L16s.  My inverter is a 2000W 12V Input Prosine 2.0

Is there any drawback to having 4 GCs in a series parallel configuration as opposed to 2 bigger L16s in series?

If I go with the 4 GC2s is it acceptable to put a 125A breaker off each series pair.  Or do they need to be paralled first and sent through a 250A breaker?

I know if one 125A breaker tripped under load the other would immediately trip.  But the 2 125A breakers would allow the use of smaller cabling all the way to the inverter.

I would take care in either case to keep the cabling identical and in the case of 2 - 125A breakers, keep the breakers identical.

Thank you,

Jerry

351 Posts
Jul 30, 2008 04:44 pm
Re: Parallel Batteries

Jerry:
Even though you try to make the wires identical, you have no guarantee that they are, or that they will stay that way.  One or two broken strands will change things. You end up with a strong battery and a weak battery.
The weak battery will draw the strong one down to its level.

Parallel them and use the larger cable/fuse.
You would also be looking at additional cable costs in the future, if you decide to expand. The full size cable now will handle any battery size in the future, up to the limits of your inverter.
Ken
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2008 04:53 pm by ken hall »

Aug 4, 2008 05:30 am
Re: Parallel Batteries

"Is there any drawback to having 4 GCB's in a series parallel configuration as opposed to 2 bigger L16s in series?"

(I am assuming that GCB's stands for Golf Cart Batteries, typically 220 amp hours at 6 volts, and the L16's as 350 amp hours at 6 volts as opposed to the L16 HC's which are 400 amp hours at 6 volts.)

Otherwise, all things being equal, possibly, the only "drawbacks" I would have would be; GCB's - footprint, more holes to put water in, fewer cycles. L16's -  less amp hour capacity, higher cost. But then again, where true deep cycle flooded cell lead acid batteries are concerned, there is no equal ground is there? I mean, its a free for all amoung manufactures and how they advertise.

"If I go with the 4 GCBs is it acceptable to put a 125A breaker off each series pair.  Or do they need to be paralleled first and sent through a 250A breaker?"

I am not sure I comprehend this one as you would have me understand it, but I will go with what I believe is your intent.
 Two scenarios;
First - 4 GCB's, 2 pair, each pair wired in series but the 2 pair are not wired in parallel. Instead, 2 sets of wire are paralleled from each of the 2 pair of GCB's to the inverter.

Don't expect any prizes for original ideas from this set up, but do expect some suprises and added inefficiencies from it, if its not done just right. Paralleling wires to a load can get tricky. But hey, if you've already got the stuff to do it and your confident in your skills, go for it. What have you got to loose?

Second - 4 GCB's wired 2 pair in series and those 2 pair wired together in parallel with 1 set of properly sized wires going to the inverter.

Ahh! Now theres a smart man. Simple. One breaker to deal with.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!