Noise and vibration from Air-X

2 Posts
Feb 9, 2006 07:54 pm
Noise and vibration from Air-X

I am thinking of buying an Air-X 400W wind generator for use with my Class-A motorcoach.  For simplicity, I would like to use the towing receptacle on the back of the coach to mount the mast that would hold the Air-X.  I would expect also to use some guy wires to stabilize things.  My question is: does anyone have any experience with a setup like this and the noise and vibration that might be felt inside the motorcoach?  I suspect that there will be noise, but the new Air-X is suposed to be very quiet.  I could use some sort of rubber suspension mount to try to reduce the vibration conducted through the towing receptacle.  Anybody have any thoughts?
Thanks.

351 Posts
Feb 10, 2006 12:23 pm
Re: Noise and vibration from Air-X

It will be very difficult to suppress the noise and vibration.

I do not like roof mounting wind turbines on wood structures which tend to dampen the noise.  With a metal mast mounted in the trailer hitch, connected to the metal frame, it will be worse.

How much power are you are you trying to generate ?  The air-x doesn't produce 100W until you get a windspeed of 17-18 mph.  I do not know of many campsites that get that much wind on a regular basis. Even if they do, the turbulance generated by other motor homes, trees etc will reduce it's output.

Have you considered a solar panel or two ?

2 Posts
Feb 27, 2006 02:36 am

>It will be very difficult to suppress
>the noise and vibration.
>I do not like roof mounting wind
>turbines on wood structures which tend
>to dampen the noise.  With
>a metal mast mounted in the
>trailer hitch, connected to the metal
>frame, it will be worse.
>How much power are you are you
>trying to generate ?  The
>air-x doesn't produce 100W until you
>get a windspeed of 17-18 mph.
> I do not know of
>many campsites that get that much
>wind on a regular basis. Even
>if they do, the turbulance generated
>by other motor homes, trees etc
>will reduce it's output.
>Have you considered a solar panel or
>two ?

Sorry for the long silence...

We live near the coast in California and often camp close to the beach, so we do experience significant wind speeds.  We also camp in Death Valley in winter, when we usually experience good steady winds.  In both of these locations the wind is often good at night, hence my concern about noise and vibration that might keep us awake.
I already have 440 watts of solar panels on the roof.  The days when the sun is hidden behind clouds are usually the days when we have plenty of wind, so an Air-X seems like the perfect complement to the solar panels.
I was wndering if some sort of rubber mounting on the hitch, plus a few guy lines to the ground might reduce the transmiited vibration to acceptable levels.

Ralph

10 Posts
Feb 27, 2006 06:21 am

I do own an Air-X however it's mounted to a pole, which in-turn is mounted to my roof. The building is in stone and the roof is concrete. The building is therfore very strong! The Air-X performs well for me, however at wind speeds of 39-46 miles/hr or Force 8 wind (gales), it vibrates the whole buiding.

Otherwise is fine except from the start-up whirling noise...

Hope it helps.

Regards
Brian

351 Posts
Mar 1, 2006 04:23 pm

Guy wires do nothing to reduce the machine noises (vibration) associated with a wind mill. They take the side loading of the windmill and convert it to a diagonal load down the guys and a vertical download to the tower. Guys will vibrate from the windmill and will sometimes make an audible noise.

While a rubber mount will reduce some of the vibration from the windmill, the question is will it be enough for you. I do not think so. At least, I can tell you it would not be enough for me.  Windmills are bad enough when mounted on a wood framed house. Your motor home is either a wood or metal framed house on an all steel foundation. Your trailer hitch is mounted to the steel foundation. I think it will be like getting a cabin next to the engine room on an all steel ship.

Paul Gipe is one of the wind gurus here in Calif. His site is
http://www.wind-works.org/
Under the small turbine link, you will find a couple of articles on the AirX noise levels and energy production.  

For further reading, I have found all of Paul�s books to be excellent, but his �Wind Energy Basics� I would specifically recommend as a real good primer on wind power. It is often available at local libraries.

2 Posts
Mar 5, 2006 10:41 am

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-06 AT 10:48 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-06 AT 10:48�AM (EST)

I would make a steel plate out of 1/4" steel (and place spikes on the bottom if you are not going to park on paved surfaces) and then mount a receptacle for you pole to the plate. place the plate in front of a back tire and run it over to hold it firmly in place. Then just insert your turbine pole into the receptacle and attach guy wires if you like. a plate aprox 12" x 18" should work. You could weld a one foot length of steel pipe onto the plate that has a slightly larger id then the OD of you turbine pole

2 Posts
Mar 5, 2006 10:47 am

I would make a steel plate out of 1/4" steel (and place spikes on the bottom if you are not going to park on paved surfaces) and then mount a receptacle for you pole to the plate. place the plate in front of a back tire and run it over to hold it firmly in place. Then just insert your turbine pole into the receptacle and attach guy wires if you like. a plate aprox 12" x 18" should work. You could weld a one foot length of steel pipe onto the plate that has a slightly larger id then the OD of you turbine pole.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!