New to solar power and need help.

4 Posts
Aug 1, 2006 05:08 pm
New to solar power and need help.

I need some advice, I've got a portable fueling point that runs a 12 VDC pump that is rated at 20amps. The power source is a 12 vdc Optima gel cell battery. The problem is the designers failed to include a battery charging system. As a result, we're going through batteries every 2 days. Is there a solar powered setup that will trickle charge the battery, but remain portable? We're located in the middle east, so sun light isn't a problem.

22 Posts
Aug 2, 2006 06:09 am
Re: New to solar power and need help.

Hello Paul;
 If I read you you right that you use up a battery every two days, that tells us that it is used only for an hour or two per day...actually pumping, correct?
 If it is a manned station, get a few 12 volt truck or car batteries wired parallel and do a charge from your vehicle for a half hour or so daily.
 If a remote station and is used unmanned, use a generator for charging or a large solar panel if you have access to one. A 110 watt panel with a charge controller will suffice just fine. Cost for panel and controller would be $600-700 USD
 Steve

578 Posts
Aug 2, 2006 06:23 pm

I agree with steve.  The battery may not be of a type that is a deep discharge renewable energy battery.  because of this, it may not like to be discharged very deeply over long periods of time.  also, batteries do not like severe heat or cold. 

it is important to know how many hours the pump runs so we can then figure the watt hours.  although it is likely that a 100w panel will provide suffiecient energy to your load, it would be nice to make sure. 

please feel free to caontact me with any other questions, and thanks for the post, hope this helps.

james - alt-e staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

4 Posts
Aug 2, 2006 09:10 pm

Thanks for the replys and help.

4 Posts
Aug 8, 2006 12:03 am

Hey James, sorry I got disconnected. I've been asked to request if you could put together a complete package of what we would need (panels, charge controller, etc). We do have the ability to fabricate our own mounts. If you have any questions about the fueling station we're mounting it on, let me know and I'll send you some pictures and rough measurements.

SSgt Paul Stork
paul.stork @ auab.centaf.af.mil

578 Posts
Aug 9, 2006 05:12 pm

I will try to get a quote out to you today or tomorrow. 

- james

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

4 Posts
Aug 9, 2006 09:55 pm

Ok, thanks for the help.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!