Last-Ditch Gel Cell Fix....

22 Posts
Jun 29, 2004 09:51 am
Last-Ditch Gel Cell Fix....

Hello All...

Often, I have found that "Maintenance-Free" really means "No Maintenance Allowed--go buy another one", and that "Hermetically Sealed" means much the same thing.  

I have five 8D gel batteries (12V, of course).  They are somewhat dead, won't hold a charge for long.  Somewhere I recall someone had luck with removing the caps, and actually adding pure water to the cells.  

Have any of you ever tried to recover/maintain/reclaime gel cells?  

What may result from trying this?  I have removed the caps from one of the batteries (was really quite simple--just pop the cap off, unscrew the lid underneath), and the cells are, in fact, dry.  The "gel" is in clumps, and I can see the tops of the plates exposed.  What would happen if I were to add some distilled water, and trickle-charge it up to 14.1 or so?

thanks!

chris

462 Posts
Jul 15, 2004 10:08 am
Re: Last-Ditch Gel Cell Fix....

Chris, go for it..old gel cell batteries need the distilled water as a medium to transfer it's electrolytes..sounds like the batteries are pretty old anyway...might be time for new ones....

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!