How to find the tilt factor for a given tilt angle

13 Posts
Apr 22, 2009 12:41 am
How to find the tilt factor for a given tilt angle

Hi all!!!!

I want to find the radiation on a tilted module. to find that i need to multiply radiation on horizontal surface and the tilt factor for the corresponding tilt angle.

Can anyone tell me how to find it?

Is there any formula for it? If given i feel happy

Thank You.

184 Posts
Apr 22, 2009 12:03 pm
Re: How to find the tilt factor for a given tilt angle

You can measure the angle with this tool, and then use that measurement for your calculations. 

http://www.claimsadjusters411store.com/jopisllo.html

John

Apr 23, 2009 05:13 am

Thats nice angle finder and only ten bucks. Is it me or did they take a picture of it upside down but set the picture rightside up?

To answer your question Tech Guy, or at least what I think your asking, I just use this
http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/redbook/atlas/
and this, at least once to set the foundation.
http://howto.altestore.com/Library-Articles/Solar-Electric-Power-or-PV-Systems/Magnetic-Declination-Finding-True-South/a60/

If you want to make sure that a flat surface, such as PV module, is perpendicular to the Sun, around noontime (or anytime the Sun is up) you can stand up a short block of 2x4 wood (about a foot long that you know is cut square on the end) to the surface. When there is no shadow any where around the wood block the surface is perpendicular to the Sun. Don't forget though, the Sun is always changing its position in the sky, all day everyday.

I set my PV modules to face a little west of south on a compass, "solar south" in my neck of the woods. On the shortest day of the year, winter solstice, December 21, at 12:00 noon, a 2x4 block casts no shadow. On the longest day of the year, summer solstice, June 21, that doesn't happen until about 1:30. Obviously on ether of the two equinox it falls in between those two times. If any of this is of intrest to you, you may want to research the analemma as well. Just as a note of interest, did you know that the other planets in our solar system form analemmas of their own. Jupiters is eliptical while oddly enough, Mercury's is a striaght line.

Something I've been wanting know about the word equinox.
Is it already plural, like the word fish?
Do we use equinoxs, equinoxes, eqionox's, or is it just equinox, vernal and autumnal? For that matter, how about the word solstice. Would it be solsticees?

« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2009 05:21 am by Thomas Allen Schmidt »

351 Posts
Apr 24, 2009 11:57 am

Equinoxes.
Solstices.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!