Help with choosing solar DC water pump

2 Posts
Jan 14, 2008 04:01 am
Help with choosing solar DC water pump

I am trying to buy and size the appropriate pump for my water storage.

My water is to come from a small constant flow river in a valley and be pumped to a holding tank 8 meters higher than the house. My latitude is N 42

I would like to extract  900 liters per day. The water deposit  (probably about 25,000 liters for fire control) is 130 meters higher than the river.

The pipe run is about 450 meters long.

The PVs will be positioned near to the storage tanks for maximum solar, so there will be a wire run of about 400 meters.

The water has a high limestone mineralization, which I believe can be filtered out via some kind of filter tube before the pump so as not to damage it?

462 Posts
Jan 17, 2008 10:25 am
Re: Help with choosing solar DC water pump

Paul, this may sound crazy, but perhaps you can use the power of the river, if it is sufficient, to run a wheel that could drive a piston pump, to deliver the water. Something like a regular hand pump from a shallow well. Just like the idea of using windmills in the old west, and still today, for pumping

2 Posts
Jan 28, 2008 12:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Tom. The idea has crossed my mind, especially when I consider the fact that in former days there was a water mill at the location that I wish to extract from. There is, further down, a small natural weir that I would like to think could be harnessed. However the flow of the river is not great, and indeed the Old "Molino" fell into disuse due to a change of the river flow.

At this time I really need to go for the most practical and maintenance free solution.

Further to earlier posts I have investigated the Grundfos SQ flex pumps but they are not up to the job.

I have had to become "educated" in what the different type of pumps do and do not do.

In conclusion I have found that I need a "positive displacement pump". With a lot of help from a very nice man in UK from Wind and Sun I have been able to put in my application to take the water from the river. We are going to use a Lorentz PS600 HR submersible pump, which, according to the literature, should give me the 900 liters per day using 3 x 24v panels. The wire size I have had different calculations for and they range from  14mm -20mm, but I think this is due to the fact that I am still not quite certain about the overall length of wire run. I am lucky with the solar resource I may be able to get away with a wire run of 280 meters hence the 14mm.( I think!!).

Anyway chaps thanks a lot for the input; it has helped a lot when I was at my wits end!

462 Posts
Jan 30, 2008 11:25 am

Paul, if you locate the pump 400m or so upstream, why would you run the wire all the way downstream? I would think that you would try to locate the PV panels as near the pump as possible to reduce power loss. Also you should check pipe flow resistance, over the length of the delivery pipe (450m), to make sure you will have enough pressure at the end of the line, to lift the water to the tanks above your house. 

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!