Heliodyne DHW Closed Loop AC Powered System Question

4 Posts
Oct 4, 2009 02:45 pm
Heliodyne DHW Closed Loop AC Powered System Question

Folks I have a quick question for you in regard to a Heliodyne AC closed loop system. Should I install a UPS electric backup system to operate the pumps if in the event we should have a power outage? I'm afraid of my glycol overheating and becoming ineffective and acidic. I've heard both ways that it won't hurt the glycol because of the system design and I've heard that I should install a UPS power backup supply to protect the system.

What is the real answer experts?

Thanks!
Clay

47 Posts
Oct 8, 2009 06:33 pm
Re: Heliodyne DHW Closed Loop AC Powered System Question

Having the glycol sit there in the sun for a day or two isn't a problem.  When it becomes a problem is if the pump died, and you never noticed, because your backup heater kicked in, and it sat there for a month or more baking.  Then it can become acidic.

I am personally putting my system on a UPS because I'm using it for space heating as well, and if the power goes out, I'll be without heat (my backup heat is electric baseboard). 

So it depends on the motivation.  If it's just to protect the system, you're fine, if it's to have hot water when the power's out, UPS.

4 Posts
Oct 10, 2009 11:26 pm

I am personally putting my system on a UPS because I'm using it for space heating as well, and if the power goes out, I'll be without heat (my backup heat is electric baseboard). 

So it depends on the motivation.  If it's just to protect the system, you're fine, if it's to have hot water when the power's out, UPS.

Amy thanks for your input! What type/brand of UPS system are you thinking of using?

47 Posts
Oct 12, 2009 05:54 pm

I'm building my own UPS with solar panels and batteries so it can run as long as there's sunny days to recharge it.

4 Posts
Oct 12, 2009 07:33 pm

I'm building my own UPS with solar panels and batteries so it can run as long as there's sunny days to recharge it.

Sounds great Amy! When you have your UPS done, please post photos and a list of what you used to build it. I'm thinking of doing the same. A small PV system enough to power the solar water heater pumps,a pellet stove and a light or two.

Thanks Again,
Clay

462 Posts
Oct 13, 2009 01:14 pm

Amy, I don't see any direct email address that I can send you a note. Just wanted to say thanks for the referal for John P in Boxboro. I installed his two HW panels Saturday from the SHW package you sold him. So thanks again...

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!