Grounding Exeltech inverter

15 Posts
May 15, 2009 01:30 pm
Grounding Exeltech inverter

I have a 24v PV system and am confused about grounding the Exeltech 1100 inverter.  The AC neutral, ground and chassis are bonded in the inverter.  Can I just ground from the AC ground/neutral to the main DC buss bar in the main DC box?  Exeltech says no ground is needed on the DC side if the negative is grounded, but the AC should be grounded to the same rod as the DC.  Another thing I need to think about it is a Midnite Solar GFP breaker that I installed in the main DC panel.  Would the AC connected to DC buss bar just trip the GFP?

This inverter ground is far more confusing than I had imagined!
Help!

2 Posts
May 17, 2009 08:59 am
Re: Grounding Exeltech inverter

Are you on-grid or off-grid?

15 Posts
May 17, 2009 09:39 am

It's an off grid cabin.  24v, 290watts of panels, 300-400AH battery bank (tbd).

2 Posts
May 17, 2009 10:25 am

If there is a failure, inverters can leak AC to their chassis or to your DC circuit . So there has to be a path to your grounding rod from the chassis and from the DC circuit. Without this path, then their is a potential of a 120 volt electrical shock if someone touches the chassis or any part of the DC circuit.

Your system should have an AC green ground bus with all the green wires and a DC ground bus with all the DC grounds . Both these should have a connection to your grounding rod. The inverter chassis should have a connection to the grounding rod.

Now you are providing a path for stray AC current but the system is still operating. The GFP will trip the system and stop current from flowing and get your attention to fix the problem.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!