GFCI Inverter outlet to Panel - keeps tripping

27 Posts
Sep 22, 2008 12:36 pm
GFCI Inverter outlet to Panel - keeps tripping

I have a Samlex inverter 1000watt(just like the one sold here but not 1500w)that came with a standard 120v GFCI socket as it's outlet.  I have fabbed a 3 prong plug that plugs into the inverter's GFCI and runs to a 60amp panel for my small cabin that shares a mutual neutral/ground bus bar.  Unfortunetly I have come to the conclusion that I cannot use the main chassis ground at all on the inverter or the plug outlet at the panel or the GFCI will trip, in addition the inverter itself cannot be grounded or it will trip - not good! 

Scenarios:
Inverter grounded to ground rod, the same one as the panel. Ground and neutral output going to same bus bar in panel and hot to hot - trips GFCI upon plugging in, clearly doesn't like it.

Inverter not grounded and ground and neutral go to bus bar in panel with hot to hot - trips GFCI upon plugging in

Inverter grounded and only neutral to bus bar with hot to hot on output - trips on plugging in.

No ground on inverter and no ground from output, just neutral and ground to panel - inverter works perfectly but is not grounded whatsoever, eek!!

My question being, is there a scenario that I have overlooked that would make everything work?  Is this just something I will have to deal with since I am essentially trying to run a GFCI backwards?  Would a seperate neutral and ground bus bar in the panel fix things?  I am thinking this may work but it would isolate the neutrals altogether making things not work correctly....  Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2008 12:39 pm by Michael Riewer »

163 Posts
Sep 22, 2008 04:42 pm
Re: GFCI Inverter outlet to Panel - keeps tripping

Sounds like the GFCI is just doing its job.

The purpose of a GFCI is to measure the current going out on the "hot" line and compare it to what is returning on the "neutral" line. If they are not the same, then the assumption is that some current is flowing from "hot" to "ground" somewhere (possibly through a person), so it immediately trips.

The inverter probably has GFCI output because it is portable and can be moved to a wet location where GFCI would be mandated by code.

As long as your panel neutral is bonded to ground, which it should be, the inverter is going to trip any time you try to use the panel as a feeder for your inverter.

27 Posts
Sep 22, 2008 08:18 pm
Re: GFCI Inverter outlet to Panel - keeps tripping

Thanks john, this is the same conclusion I came up with onsite, there was no way around the onboard gfci(it is a "portable" inverter and serves it's purpose).  The only thing I truly felt uneasy about was not having the inverter grounded at all, as it trips the gfci if the chassis ground is used.  But, again, I could find no way around this issue.  The neutral and ground are bonded at the panel and everything appears wired to code(I bought the place a month ago)so gfci's that are used from the panel on will work correctly.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!