Beginner questions...want to start small.

3 Posts
Nov 15, 2007 01:29 am
Beginner questions...want to start small.

Hi all,

I'm new here, and just wanting to start dabbling in solar/battery backup applications.

I figure my first project could be a homemade version of one of those $100 gadgets from various companies that provide power when the lights go out (along with a radio, light, etc.)

Anyway, I want to basically put a couple of batteries into a cart, and be able to plug in AC appliances.  To begin with, I don't mind having to plug my creation into my home AC plug to charge the batteries.  Once it's working...then I'd like to add the solar powered option.  Also, I want it to be flexible enough to be able to add a battery or two as needed (for more power, or longer run-time) as well.

Does anyone know of a "how to" guide to get something like this started?  And maybe a list of parts and suggested/recommended brands to buy (and stay away from!) 

I'll keep searching this forum (lots of pages), but if somebody can steer me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful! 

Thank you!

28 Posts
Nov 15, 2007 02:56 am
Re: Beginner questions...want to start small.

Hi Steve,

You might try looking at this page.  A bunch of things, maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but pleanty good enough to give you all kinds of ideas.

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_experiments.html

When you get bored with that one (should take you awhile), just Google "solar power experiments" and a bunch more will pop up.

Happy Experimenting!

184 Posts
Nov 15, 2007 09:55 am

Steve,

I have several entries on my blog about starting small.  If you look through my archives I'm sure you'll find some useful information.

I suggest that you start out with a "real" solar panel, (not something from a gadget).  You'll be able to add panels as your budget will allow, and eventually have a system will provide a useful amount of energy. You'll also have a sealed unit that will be able to survive bad weather.  But whatever way you choose to start out, at least you'll be learning.

Keep us posted on your progress.

http://solarjohn.blogspot.com

John

462 Posts
Nov 15, 2007 11:49 am

Steve, sounds like you would need a small inverter. If you plan on keeping batteries charged using an AC charger then adding an inverter to convert from DC to AC should take care of your needs. Just be sure to size the inverter to cover your power needs. Eg. A 110 Volt appliance that draws 5 amps would require an inverter capable of putting out at least 5 x 110 = 550 to 600 Watts. You may also incorporate a fuse between the batteries and the inverter.

3 Posts
Nov 19, 2007 12:26 am

John, I was looking at your site, and I think what I'm trying to build is almost exactly as what's in the picture you have posted on October 31, 2007.  (Specifically, image DSC00740.JPG.)

From what it looks like, you have a couple batteries, connected to a variety of other things...  Do you have (or know of) a tutorial to build something like that?  Something that lists the various components (batteries, inverters, plugs, other stuff I don't even know about) and how to put them all together?

As far as charging it from either solar or AC power - I live in the Pacific Northwest, and when the power is out...that generally means that there isn't going to be much sunlight.  I'm guessing that after a night or two of using a backup system like this (basics..radio, light, heat), that the amount of solar power I could harness (for the price I'm willing to pay for my first solar project) wouldn't allow me  to continue on for very long.  (I also have a diesel generator, so if the power is out for long, solar power would be "assisted" for as long as the fuel remains.)  =)

Thanks everyone...  I'll try search on Google for some nice clear instructions...from looking at that box of batteries, components, and wires, I think that's what I'm actually looking to build.

Steve

Steve,

I have several entries on my blog about starting small.  If you look through my archives I'm sure you'll find some useful information.

I suggest that you start out with a "real" solar panel, (not something from a gadget).  You'll be able to add panels as your budget will allow, and eventually have a system will provide a useful amount of energy. You'll also have a sealed unit that will be able to survive bad weather.  But whatever way you choose to start out, at least you'll be learning.

Keep us posted on your progress.

John

184 Posts
Nov 19, 2007 03:30 pm

Steve,

I think you'll find my blog post of 4/20/2007 helpful.  It includes a simplified wiring diagram of a small system.  When you purchase the charge controller it will come with instructions concerning connecting the solar panel(s), batteries, and load.  If you're going to use an inverter, connect it directly to the battery just as my diagram shows. The picture you saw on my October 31st post includes some extra wiring and stuff.  It need not be that complicated.  I would, however, suggest that you include a fuse between each solar panel and the charge controller, and a lightning protection device if there is a danger of lightning strikes where your panels will be installed.  Also, be sure to use the appropriate wire for the amount of current that will flow.

If you have any specific questions, I will try to help.  You'll also find great information on websites such as http://home.altenergystore.com/

John

578 Posts
Nov 19, 2007 05:33 pm

"I'm guessing that after a night or two of using a backup system like this (basics..radio, light, heat), that the amount of solar power I could harness (for the price I'm willing to pay for my first solar project) wouldn't allow me  to continue on for very long."

usually once you say "heat" or "fridge" your system is no longer small.

check out this link to see a schematic of a small system.  you can ignore the parts you dont need, but often the pics are helpful

http://store.altenergystore.com/Kits-and-Package-Deals/Off-Grid-Systems-Cabin-Systems/Off-Grid-Cabin-Special-Pkg-1/p5692/

if you intend to run your generator through an ac charger you can get a separate one
http://store.altenergystore.com/Charge-Controllers/AC-Charge-Controllers/c473/

, or you can get one integrated into your inverter, but now, again, your small system is no longer small.  those are usually called inverter/chargers and the smallest we have is 500w, and the largest is now 6000w.

cheers,

james Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

6 Posts
Nov 20, 2007 08:18 am

do you mean an inverter or some such? If not mabe search under topics 'DIY solar' We first started with experiments and DIY projects.We still run our DIY solar wall heaters ,they are terrific! but have finally moved on to panels and inverters for everything else.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!