AGM batteries - Life Expectancy

20 Posts
Nov 15, 2008 02:22 pm
AGM batteries - Life Expectancy

Ok, everytime I ask how long batteries should last, I get the "it depends" answer Smiley

So here's a hypothetical scenario to help me gauge life expectancy:

Eight 100AH 12v AGM batteries (CanadianTire Eliminator Deep Cycle brand).

They are all connected in parallel to 360 watts of solar panels, through a 30 amp charge controller.  (It's a cheapy Sunforce charge controller).

The batteries have "shipped on" labels varying between Sept 07 to Sept 08.

They are in my unheated garage, with summer temperatures being about 20-25 Celsius, and winter being about -15 Celsius.

The batteries are kept fully charged by the charge controller (they show ~13v all the time) and are intended for "emergency" use - IE: I don't plan on EVER using them unless Armageddon happens type thing....

So..given all of the above, what's the life expectancy of the batteries?....1 year, 3 years, 5 years, 7 years, 10 years?

Nov 16, 2008 06:47 am
Re: AGM batteries - Life Expectancy

It depends. When is Armageddon going to get here?
Awww! I am just spoofing you Patrick.
It is however (and you have probably heard this too) a lot like asking, "I have a 20 gal. tank of gas, how long will it last in my car?" What you want to know is "what is the shelf life of that gas?"
I don't know that I can answer your question to your satisfaction, but maybe I can at least help you to formulate your own.
A lot of it has to do with cycles and how deep the cycles go. In your case, if the batteries are just sitting there "self discharging" during times of no Sunlight, then the cycles are extremely low, possibly < 5%, and this will, in effect, promote more than advertised cycles which if stated at all, is stated in terms of "number of cycles at a __ depth of discharge" which could be, 20% or 50%, possibly as low as 80% depth of discharge.
Now!, when "Armageddon" Smiley gets here and you start to use the batteries, obviously that < 5% depth of discharge between times of no Sunlight will change and this in effect will change the number of cycles available and the over all life expectancy of the batteries.
It would seem that, right about now we have the need for a calculator capable of ciphering a balance between, depth of discharge and number of cycles, and it could be very complicated or very easy "depending" on how exact of an answer one is expecting. Variables that could change the outcome would involve such things as chemical composition, impurities, temperature, humidity, and time from date of conception. Some might argue that the date, time, and location of conception could be an aspect of the ratio's within the computations (astrologists). We are afterall, trying to foretell a future event. Give me a little time and I'll see what I can find. Later.

20 Posts
Nov 16, 2008 11:32 am

The reason I ask is so I know aprox when I should replace them.

I've read some websites that say on standby, AGMs can last up to 48 months (only 4 years) and I've read on some other websites that it can be up to 10 years on standby....

So I'm really confused as to why there is so much difference of opinion..

I don't want to know specifically for my situation, because as you say there are many variables, but I just want a ballpark "industry standard" kind of thing...

When people use AGMs in a standby/backup scenario, how long can they reasonably expect them to last?  Not asking for exact timeframes...but just ball park..... is it 2 years or 10 years kind of thing....

Put it this way, I just spent $3000 on eight AGM batteries.... will I need to chuck them next year and buy new ones?  I know a lot depends on the size of the battery etc... So that's why I mentioned they were 100AH 12v batteries.. (they weight 72lbs each).

For $3k, I got 800AH of batteries.... I am tempted to rethink my strategy and buy one of those huge 5000lbs industrial batteries that cost $4,000 but are supposed to last 30 years.

But if my AGMs today will last that long on standby, I won't bother.

Nov 16, 2008 03:18 pm

Ok. I could not find anything out about your Eliminator  12 v 100 Ah AGM's. You'd think I was trying to find NASA' top secret space shuttle files or something.
Anyway, I did find this:
http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0139.pdf
Something that might be very similar. If you scroll down the file to page 10 of 16, at the bottom right side you will see a chart. Read this. You can see that at a 10% depth of discharge one may get 3100 cycles. At that rate, figuring one cycle per day, that comes to 8.5 years. Of course "your mileage may vary" as they say. Keep in mind I could not find this kind of spec. sheet for the Eliminator brand your using. These are Deka AGM's. Eliminator brand should have spec. sheet like this though were they are hiding it on the internet, is anybodies guess.

351 Posts
Nov 16, 2008 04:18 pm

Your battery bank is 800AH based upon the 100hr rate. I would consider it to be about 720AH based upon a 20 hour rate.
The typical life for a deep cycle AGM is 4-7 years, for batteries that are being used. (Is the CT battery a true deep cycle, or a hybrid?) Not using them and maintaining a float charge, could actually bring down the life expectancy towards the lower end. At minimum, I would discharge them 10-15% once or twice a month, to exercise them a bit.
Actually, if they were mine, I would cycle them daily.You could easily take 800-900 watt hours out of them, if you increased your PV. (Just how do you intend to recharge all of these batteries after Armageddon, anyway)

You didn't mention any type of battery box. If you put them in an insulated box, it would help prolong the life. I would also put a battery temp monitor on them.  

Nov 17, 2008 05:39 am

The reason I ask is so I know aprox when I should replace them.

I've read some websites that say on standby, AGMs can last up to 48 months (only 4 years) and I've read on some other websites that it can be up to 10 years on standby....

So I'm really confused as to why there is so much difference of opinion..

I don't want to know specifically for my situation, because as you say there are many variables, but I just want a ballpark "industry standard" kind of thing...

When people use AGMs in a standby/backup scenario, how long can they reasonably expect them to last?  Not asking for exact timeframes...but just ball park..... is it 2 years or 10 years kind of thing....

Only the manufacturer would know these things with, any, certainty about its own product. Only, from what I have been able to find so far or in this case not find (manufactures spec. sheet) the manufacture doesn't want anybody to know details about its product or they don't know because they haven't extensively tested there own product.

Here's another one to throw into the mash.
http://www.partsonsale.com/universalub121100.pdf
 If you look at this sheet, they say it takes their battery 3 months to self discharge to only 91% in storage. Something just doesn't feel right about that to me. Letting a battery just sit there for 3 months without charge. I know that this must happen to a minor extent where manufacturing facilities are concerned. I guess its just me. Maybe I am too spartanistic. I could never let myself spend $3000 on a "yard ornament." No offense intended. It would have to serve some sort of worth while duties. On that note though, I can see where having those batteries in storage, ready to use at moments notice would be a great advantage but then, uhh, never mind.
There is a battery that I have heard off that can sit dead for the most part, and be revived after years in this state. How true it is I don't know. Its the Nickle Iron battery invented by Thomas Edison (or more likely, by one of his think tank minions). I wouldn't know where to get any though without researching it. So... What the heck. I have fun searching for hard to find items.

I'll be a monkeys uncle. That was just toooo easy.
http://www.beutilityfree.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=129
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2008 05:50 am by Thomas Allen Schmidt »

19 Posts
Nov 17, 2008 09:11 am

Keeping the batts at non extreme temps also would prolong the life of the batts according to some mfgs.  I know that in AZ when my batts are exposed to 115 degree ambient, it is detrimental to them; but no way can I a/c my power house.

11 Posts
Dec 15, 2008 05:00 pm

Hi Patrick,
I'm a newbie with a story to tell. When I purchased my batteries 8 months ago, it took about 5 months to get my system installed and running. No one gave me instructions at the time of sale or a manual (and I would hae read it!) Anyhow, now my expensive deep cycle batteries are sulfated and in contention for expensive warranty or replacement. My advice, get to know your batteries intimately, run them a little, read specific gravity, test them under different loads, consitions and temperatures (15 makes a big difference!). Then when Armageddon comes, you will be so much more comfortable with your system. Smart investment, but I agree to use them a little in the mean time. Goodluck, Sally

33 Posts
Jan 6, 2009 04:38 pm

A couple of you guys are representing the most abusive use of batteries. You can't buy 8 kw of electricity and stuff it off in the garage for when you need it.

Sally your batteries are new. Desulfate them and they should be fine. If they were 6 year old batteries they might not come back at all or very little but if you desulfate them they should work 100 percent. I let my car battery sulfate pretty badly the last 4 months but few charges on desulfating charger fixed it. One more charge should get me 10 or 15 more percent of it's current 80 percent capacity which was down close to 30 percent at the worst.

You can drain a gel battery down to 20 percent throw it in a closet for 2 years and bring it out and charge it back up and it will be fine most times. Can't do that with AGM or lead acid. But you can overcharge or overvolt a lead acid 10 times and it will still peform very well. But you do that 4 times to a gel and it's going to get hurt a little.

If you want an example of extreme abuse in use. I ran a deep cycle down to 30 to 10 percent regularly over 2 to 4 days and overcharged it nearly every time over a day and it took about 200 of those abuse cycles before it started bubbling the last 20 to 30 percent of it's charge, another 40 or 50 abuse cycles before it started bubbling so much that it was just too dangerous to use.

If you want them to work for thousands of cycles just drain em 10 to 20 percent with a light constant load and top em off over and over with a slow good charger.

Manufacterers can't tell you all the low down on sulfation information because it's crystal formation physics and EVERYTHING affects it from the grain structure of the plates when they are made to temperature and barometric pressures to the way the earths magnetic field runs through it. Every rechargeable battery crystalizes in some way be it wet, gel or paste. The crystalization takes the form of paste clumps, gel thickening, or lead acid battery sediments or small coating patches all over the plates. They are naturally at an imbalance with their environment and these processes are how they attempt to put a stop to that.

If you want to prepare for armaggedon. Buy a generator instead and 2 5 gallon gas cans. Pour the gas into your car and put fresh gas in the cans every 6 months or so. Start the generator up and run it for little bit every couple months.

Put those batteries to work or sell them to someone who will.

220 Posts
Jan 7, 2009 04:07 am

hi folks,

although not one with a mindset of believing that it's time to start circling the wagons in preparation for the much advertised armageddon. i like the idea of having a good sized bank of backup power ready to go. not sure if that puts me in the battery abuser camp or not but don't see any downside and the peace of mind on the upside might be the trump for some.

not so sure on some of the other issues but jonathan raises the interesting topic of desulfators. until recently these devices were regarded as "snake oil"..there seems to be a change of heart happening about using these devices as a full time preventive measure to keep those sulfating problems from occurring. the pulser/desulfator topic makes for an interesting read. this open source design by alister couper in homepower #77 started it all.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7218398/batterydesulfator

i picked up this one last fall and have been pleasantly surprised so far. i'll know more in ten years or so.

http://search.altenergystore.com/search?p=R&srid=S1%2d4&lbc=altenergystore&w=bd%202&url=http%3a%2f%2fstore%2ealtenergystore%2ecom%2fBatteries%2fDesulfators%2fSolar%2dConverters%2dBd%2d2%2dBattery%2dDesulfator%2fp1224%2f&rk=3&uid=13426572&sid=2&ts=v2&rsc=EuwLUT4k2-HOt70b&method=and&isort=score&ref=SORBD-2

patrick, could be that your sized emergency system might fit nicely into a discarded refrigerator or chest freezer. perhaps it would blend in with the decor and provide protection from poking fingers and prying eyes. if you really wanted to go nuts you could even put it in a working refrigerator set at some lower constant temperature with temp corrected charge. true that lower temps mean lower capacity is available but when we let that cold fully charged battery warm up to operating temperature we have our full available capacity back. (and back without recharging) interesting also is the lower storage temp slows the aging of the battery.

http://www.mpoweruk.com/storage.htm

http://www.smeter.net/daily-facts/3/fact21.php

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Temperature%20Effects%20on%20Batteries

and consider this info for the mix when running multiple parallel strings in a bank.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

all data suggests that running positive and negative busbars is the way to go.

interesting topic.

best regards, dave

Jan 9, 2009 01:30 pm

Hi,
I also have a similar situation with Agm batteries. i got 2 100Amp-hr connected in parallel to my 12volts system in about 6 month one of the battery swell-up while the other remain normal. Iam confused, come to my aid.

Thanks

33 Posts
Jan 9, 2009 05:21 pm

Hi,
I also have a similar situation with Agm batteries. i got 2 100Amp-hr connected in parallel to my 12volts system in about 6 month one of the battery swell-up while the other remain normal. Iam confused, come to my aid.

Thanks

Ok battery 1 postive1 negative1. Battery 2 postive2 negative2.
Connect the loads on postive1 and negative2 so that the loads bring in both batteries equally.
Postive1 goes to loads and positve 2. negative1 goes to negative2 and ground of the loads.
More simply stated move the grounds of the loads from battery1 to battery2.
Replace the swolen battery first though.

1 Posts
Jun 6, 2009 12:36 pm

I know I'm bringing up a potentially dead thread, but I didn't read any good answers for the original poster.�  If I were in your shoes and already had bought this AGM battery bank, and was really concerned about Armageddon, this is what I would do.

Turn the charging system OFF.�  AGM batteries self discharge VERY slowly (1-3% per month).�  They can also handle quite a bit of discharge with no negative effects, I don't know the optimal discharge level - FIND THIS OUT.�  Then I would let the batteries self discharge down to the optimal level, lets say its 50%, so about 1.5 years OF NO CHARGING and NO USE.�  Then charge the batteries and let drain for 1.5 years and repeat until Armageddon.

I wouldn't be surprised if AGM batteries in ideal conditions and under no use could last 50 years or even more, of course this changes when you start using the batteries.

Personally, I would move the batteries inside during the winter (out of habit of using "older" technology), but AGM batteries apparently do not suffer from cold (not sure how extreme they can handle), so you are probably fine with leaving them in the garage over winter.

Another thing to note - do your research on the best way to charge AGM batteries, if you hold them at a constant voltage without a current limiter you will damage them.

http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/agm.htm - fairly informative.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!