Need a little help

351 Posts
Oct 2, 2008 06:55 pm
Re: Need a little help

James:
Here is the UL listing for snap switches.
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/showpage.html?name=WJQR.GuideInfo&ccnshorttitle=Snap+Switches&objid=1074128100&cfgid=1073741824&version=versionless&parent_id=1073995251&sequence=1
The 7th paragraph is
"General-use snap switches are classified into two categories: AC-DC general use and AC general use. AC general-use switches are marked "AC" to limit their use to alternating-current circuits. AC-DC general-use switches are not so limited; no such marking is required or generally provided."

The "AC" marking I am familiar with is "AC Only", It is in addition to the primary ac ratings.

It is not uncommon for the ac/dc devices to list only the primary ac ratings. The DC rating may not appear due to space. You may have to read the spec sheet, or other Mfg info to find the DC rating. Occasionally, you have to ask the mfg, directly.

Assuming
a)your switch is a snap switch
b)you listed all of the markings in the earlier posting

The absence of the seperate "AC only" (or equivelent) would lead me to believe that it is probably an ac/dc switch.
Hope this helps,
Ken

220 Posts
Oct 2, 2008 10:39 pm

ken. thanks for the informative post and good references.
this is an interesting and important topic. i was not aware of that link..lots of good onfo there.

16 Posts
Oct 2, 2008 11:02 pm

Mike,

going to order the leds the you used now they seem as though they will be the perfect fit for what i need rightnow. As far as the switch is concerned I will cross thart bridge when I come to it. I was considering using a 6 switch fuse protected panel that is generally used for marine/ boat apps. it seems as though it would be fine to me. But I guess I will have to look into it more!

27 Posts
Oct 3, 2008 12:05 am

Joel, sounds good man, you will be amazed at how bright 1 watt can be - it is painfully impossible to look at them! Let me know if you need any more help! Smiley

16 Posts
Oct 3, 2008 01:12 am

O.K. man things are looking good, just got to wait for them to get in and then I will test them and get to work! thanks again!

-J

16 Posts
Oct 9, 2008 06:26 am

Hey Mike,

I got my LEDS in yesterday, and all I can say is WOW!! thanks for the heads up. I connected 1 set to my battery and layed them on my work bench. They nearly lit the whole garage, Atleast to the point that I could walk aroung the whole thing and not trip (the garage needs a good cleaning)and it is easy to see that as soon as they are mounted on the ceiling in the cabin they will more than do the Job. I only got 3 sets to start, I am planning on possibly doubling that # inside, depends on the lighting situation ounce I get them up and running. I am also planning something similar to what you did on the outside.
 Hey quick question, if memory serves I think you stated that with 6 units I should get about 70 hours of run time, if that is correct, does that mean that my run time should double for only 3 units?

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!