I'm just getting started and could use some advice.

1 Posts
Jun 24, 2003 09:37 am
I'm just getting started and could use some advice.

I'm building a shed in my back yard and would like to experiment by powering it with solar. I'm looking for a simple configuration that would allow my to have a single flourescent light (30w) inside, a flood light or two outside (100w ea.), a bug zapper (40w), and a single outlet for occassional use.

Using the tutorials in the Alternative Energy Store site (which is excellent by the way!), I have determined that I'll need a single Uni-Solar 32 watt solar panel ($187), A MorningStar SunSaver Charge Controller, model 20L-24 ($94), and four Trojan T-105 batteries ($320).

With that, I have four questions: 1) Do my estimates look accurate, 2)What is a low cost inverter that would do the job, 3) I had trouble using the tutorial to figure out the best gauge of wire, what should I use, and 4) Without the inverter, I'm already at $600. That's getting expensive to simply add some power to a shed. Is there a more cost efective way to do this or am I overestimating something?

3 Posts
Jun 26, 2003 04:50 pm
Re: I'm just getting started and could use some advice.

1. You did not mention how long the stuff would be operating. But a single 32W panel seems small.
2. The charge controller seems ok. Always try to go a little bigger so it last your upgrade cycles.
3. For a starter system, four Golf Cart Batteries can be bought from Sams Club for $45 each. I did, they work, same size, no shipping...
4. Inverters can be 400 - 1000W cheapies form Walmart, Sams, Home Depot. Try http://www.vectormfg.com/site2/vectormfg/default.php?cPath=22
5. Cables. Use 10ga from panels to charger. Buy Car Jumper Cables and cut them to fit from Battery to Inverter. You should build a plywood box to hold batteries and mount inverter on outside of box, like on the left or font, etc.
6. Homepower Mag can help. www.homepower.com

Jun 28, 2003 10:40 am

There is no inexpensive way. One way as opposed to another may be less expensive. When you figured up how much you had to spend on it did you figure in the amount that conventional power would cost you for the shed, for the rest of your life, and what it would cost you to have an electrician install a 20 amp circuit from your house? A rule of thumb is that whatever it would cost for conventional power paid out over a lifetime is what it would cost for independent power all at one time. Lets say I paid on average $100 a month to my local power and light company. Thats $1200 a year, times 40 years. Thats $48,000 (its a lot more than this when the real world cost is figured in) that I would have to spend on a renewable energies powered, off grid home. This is in a perfect world of course. I over simplfied just to give you an the idea.

1 Posts
Jun 29, 2003 06:35 am

>I'm building a shed in my back
>yard and would like to experiment
>by powering it with solar. I'm
>looking for a simple configuration that
>would allow my to have a
>single flourescent light (30w) inside, a
>flood light or two outside (100w
>ea.), a bug zapper (40w), and
>a single outlet for occassional use.
>
>Using the tutorials in the Alternative Energy
>Store site (which is excellent by
>the way!), I have determined that
>I'll need a single Uni-Solar 32
>watt solar panel ($187), A MorningStar
>SunSaver Charge Controller, model 20L-24 ($94),
>and four Trojan T-105 batteries ($320).
>
>With that, I have four questions: 1)
>Do my estimates look accurate, 2)What
>is a low cost inverter that
>would do the job, 3) I
>had trouble using the tutorial to
>figure out the best gauge of
>wire, what should I use, and
>4) Without the inverter, I'm already
>at $600. That's getting expensive to
>simply add some power to a
>shed. Is there a more cost
>efective way to do this or
>am I overestimating something?

The answer to your question is no,your are not overestimating, and the experience you will get out of this is that this equipment is expensive no matter which way you go. If you have electrical power in your house dig a small ditch and bring the power to your shed. It will cost you more money and aggravation to use the alternative energy (solar panels, charge controller, inverter, battery bank,) not to mention the equipment and time to maintain the batteries than use the grid electricity to power your shed for 100 years. The only time you want to use alternative energy is when you are so far away from grid power that you have no choice.

3 Posts
Jul 4, 2003 08:59 am

I think the key to your success is in the first sentence. "I would like to experiement" Go to www.hompower.com and order a couple back issues, maybe the latest CD. Read up on what you need to setup your power requirements in your shed. Play with it and have fun. Will it be more economical with Solar, probally not. Can you just buy a 100 foot 12 ga extension cord and string it out to your shed? Yes. Is that fun? You decide what your intentions are and do what you want...

Thanks and have fun.

29 Posts
Feb 10, 2004 02:31 am

Hi Mike,
to keep costs down just for experimenting: why not using 12V equipment (saving lamps & floodlight form automotive shop etc...) saves at least the inverter. Otherwise just to run some lamps a simple 500W inverter from a hardware store is sufficient.
-------
For system sizing: a single 32W panel (2A peak means 6-12AH)for a 450AH battery seems a little undersized. Daily average charge maybe 120Wh.
Also running a 100W floodlight (can you use a few saving lamps instead ??) + other staff for some hours will drain your battery fast.
Running an average of 3 hours 170W is more than 500 Wh/day so solar panel should be better 140W.
---------
Pulling an AC cable from your house will cost much less.... but experimenting is fun.

May 24, 2004 07:05 pm

LAST EDITED ON May-24-04 AT 07:06 PM (EST)

So what have you decided Mike? Iam really interested. Did you go solar with your shed power or tie it into your house?

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!